Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones best time to pull the head off a 2.5 Turbo I common block? I'm going to make a detailed list of every tool required and exactly what to do step by step and get it down to 30 mins or less to pull the head off (with manifolds and turbo still attached). Does this sound slow/fast?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
At my last swap I wanted to time myself, I was all setup and took about 1 1/2hrs.(2 including setup) I am sure with 2 people working on it it could happen in 1/2 hour.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I changed a head gasket on my Shelby Charger faster than Domino's could deliver the pizza. I only lifted the head high enough to slide the old one out and new one in. And I re-used the old head bolts. I also didn't change the oil.

It lasted for seven years, so it must have been ok.

I had a date that night :p

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If everything has been apart recently (bolts and things aren't rusted) it can be done quite fast, but if things haven't been removed in 20 years it can take a while.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Ummm... Just a thought here, but... Shouldn't we be timing our cars performance instead of the time it takes to repair them?
I do it between "performance tests and tune". :p

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am a good example of what can go wrong, will go wrong. I have been working on my Daytona for 2 yrs and only drove it a total of 10 miles. When I removed the head, I broke a head bolt in half. That and about 12 other misc. bolts (and an easy-out in the head) is making me frustrated. I don't think the head was ever off on my 85. A little water leak by the corner bolt was all it took. I will probably never get the award for the fastest head removal, but possibly the slowest.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am a good example of what can go wrong, will go wrong. I have been working on my Daytona for 2 yrs and only drove it a total of 10 miles. When I removed the head, I broke a head bolt in half. That and about 12 other misc. bolts (and an easy-out in the head) is making me frustrated. I don't think the head was ever off on my 85. A little water leak by the corner bolt was all it took. I will probably never get the award for the fastest head removal, but possibly the slowest.
You get my award for the most persistent and most improved TD'er!
Keep it up! :thumb:

·
Banned
419 Posts
Ummm... Just a thought here, but... Shouldn't we be timing our cars performance instead of the time it takes to repair them?
heh... yet to see my car run, I have had the whole engine out in less then an hour by myself. I've done it 8 times so far, this damn shadow is never going to run.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've done it in the junkyard in 10 min. But the exhaust was removed about 1' down the downpipe, and I took a razor to the wires, hoses (radiator, oil return, and intake), and timing belt. Not recommended if this is your car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This kind of luck follows me whenever I work on something. A 10 min job ends up taking two hours.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
heh... yet to see my car run, I have had the whole engine out in less then an hour by myself. I've done it 8 times so far, this damn shadow is never going to run.
If you where closer we could have it done over the weekend:thumb:

I am not quick at removing the heads but can have the engine and transmission out quickly if I bust balls at it, taking my time and working at a steady pace... could take all day like it did Sunday:p

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It all depends on the 2 bolts that connect the swingvalve to the exhaust...I have spent 3 hours getting them lose alone.....they usually break cause there so rusted and there is no ****ing room to get your hand in there to really crank on it.

I have had the head and everything off in 23 minutes when those 2 bolts went easy though.

I also did about 20 head gasket swaps in 3 months....so I got damn good.

Hand tools.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've never timed myself doing a TD/TBI head gasket but it has to be near 1hr 45mins start to finish , W/air tools , Now i have timed myself doing a HG on a 2.2 Pushrod Gm and thats 1hr 15min start to finish. again w/air tools

your friend with exhaust bolts is the RED Wrench, a little heat makes stubborn fasteners move effortlessly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts