Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to get room to get to the freeze plug location behind the ac compressor. it fell out so i need to plug it. here is my problem.

i got the belt loose to remove the compressor, removed the 5 bolts i could find, and now i still cant get the damn bracket off :confused: ... btw its an 88 2.2 turbo.

do i have to place a jack under the motor and remove the motor mount to get this pita bracket off?? or is there something im just not seeing!! :bang head

if you've done this before i'd GREATLY appreciate any help or information you could throw my way. :thumb:

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
If it is like my 90 there are bolts that run thru the side of the stationary bracket so the mount has to be removed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
yeah there are two bolts on the left hand side of the a/c bracket, I want to say 15mm or so. those have to be removed too, and there is a bracket there too, and also loosen up motor mount bolt too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i got the ac bracket moving freely but it wont come off... i see those two bolts you guys are talking about. there a bolt on the bottom and a nut on the top that goes into the side of the block.

now just brace the motor with the jack and just loosen or completely take off that motor mount?

i see that metal brace is preventing the ac bracket to come off... thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah there are two bolts on the left hand side of the a/c bracket, I want to say 15mm or so. those have to be removed too, and there is a bracket there too, and also loosen up motor mount bolt too.
that second bracket your talking about, is that connected to the motor mount?

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
The only times I had the stationary bracket removed was doing the timing belt so I completly removed the mount.

·
Registered
66 Posts
By the way...
(and you may have already discovered this) but the books did that I have did not mention it. When you remove that bolt below the nut on the front of the engine holding the A/C bracket on (bolt #3 according to the torquing sequence diagram), that bolt penetrates the water jacket. So if you did not drain the cooling system before, you did when you removed the bolt. Of course, since you said your freeze plug is out, I guess you are already drained.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wish i knew this before but there is no freeze plug behind the ac bracket...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ALSO, i'm in wi and we in the 20's to 30's for a high. i got no money for anti-freeze at the time. so is there any other way i can put something into the radiator to pin point this dam leak, cause i don't want to put water in fear of it freezing...

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
How large is the leak? Is there a trail of coolant that you can follow? Leaking coolant may leave a whitish colored residue as it runs down other wise you will need to pressure test the system.
From what you are describing it sounds like the water pump or water pump housing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have not seen the leak myself. i've been running off what the 2 previous owners have told me. i got no anti-freeze to put in there tho. i don't want to use water as it 20 degrees here now.

the guy said you can dump it in and it just pours right back out/...

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
There is probably some coolant still left in the block and you may find the leak with a pressure tester.
If not get a good light and look for the trail.
The water pump bolts to a housing, the housing bolts to the block right below the stationary(A/C, Alt) bracket. It is held on with bolts and uses an o'ring to seal.
Also check the lower rad hose and heater hose at the water pump.
Check the radiator support for signs of coolant, it is common for the tanks on the rad to leak where they attach to the core.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the water pump looks fine. on the block by the timing belt i think might be the freeze plug. it had marks that looked like something was leaking. the guy before me must have put water in the thing. the bottom hose had ice. and i spun the water pump and ice there too... lol i cant find a leak when ice is blocking everything...

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Just checked the FSM and there are no pics of freeze plug location.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i got a hanes manual and it has nothing about freeze plugs either lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts