Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know if this was the right place to put this...... I have a 1990 Dodge Omni and I am needing some info on the AC compressor belt, the parts store as two belts listed and I am not sure which one I need , one is listed as without Idler and the other is with Idler.... I am not sure which one my Omni needs....
My omni has a double piston compressor....if that is any help.. in the past some one removed the ac belt and I don't know if my Omni came with or without an Idler.....

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
I have never seen one without an idler pulley. If it has one, it might still be on the car. Look just behind the alternator, where the belts are. The idler with no belt in the pulley should be visible. If the idler pulley was making noise, it might have been removed with the belt and only its bracket might be in place..however, removing the bracket is easier than just removing the pulley.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I got a pulley and bracket for a 91 or 92 Spirit 2.5 from the pull a part "assuming it would work as the a/c bracket looked the same" and I cant seem to get it to fit like it should, it looks like is going to rub on the water pump pulley...... Are there Vehicle specific brackets?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't think they're specific to vehicles, but to year and engine. '90 is a unique year in that it has some things that are still holdovers from the 2nd gen and some things that are updated to 3rd gen. As for the A/C bracket I don't know for sure. I do know the later version has the bracket raised away from the block where the pulley is mounted, essentially the pulley mounts to the back of the bracket, and the earlier version the bracket is close to the block and the pulley mounts on front of the bracket.

I think - but I'm 100%, that there are also more than one size pulley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have seen a late model idler pulley on a Caravan when I was searching for a replacement. It appeared as if either, early or late, model would work just the same. The difference was that the bracket was offset to go around the outside of the alternator belt with, I believe, the pulley toward the inside. I pulled both styles, laid them side by side and don't believe there was any other distinct difference. After all I have not heard of any different offset on main pulleys or any thing like that. In fact I kept both pulleys and left the bracket, both pulleys were the same in my eyes, and I'm very particular, just ask my wife. lol

·
Administrator
25,012 Posts
If you are dealing with Autozone our return policy is nice and easy.
Take the 2 belts, use the one you need and return the other.

Looking at the site there appears to be 2 belts in the Valuecraft Line, a 15470(47") and a 15480(48") but in Duralast there is only one belt listed that is right in the middle, 15475(47.5") for $9.99.

If you still have 3 bolts in your A/C belt tensioner one of the adjuster slot bolts needs to removed and discarded(as per Chrysler) with a replacement belt to be able to get the proper tension

1 - 6 of 6 Posts