Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a idea of adding a second intercooler so runing 2 cause i want to keep the stock look since my car is a rare vnt and the other one in the font of the raid the intercooler i have for my FMIC is the one below it seams this would be very simple to plum just in out in out just want to know if theirs any disadvantages to this car will have a 15 psi cal from fwd with stock flue and map stock exhaust for now cars a vnt so i have heard all cant be done or why do it so no bashing thanks

Intercooler 18x1`x2.5 Honda K20A RSX 02-07 2.25" OD | eBay

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Running one cooler into another is inefficient as far as after cooling goes, at least for an application like yours.
The stock cooler on your car isn't holding it back at 15psi unless you have a ported head and manifolds.

Either put in the new cooler or keep the old, you'll be putting a lot of work into running both little if any gain.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Question. Would something like this help the cooling or is it a waste of money? It goes in line prior to you existing inter-cooler.

Dennis

Pre-Intercooler Cooling Pipe

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It wouldn't hurt imho, however I doubt it would have much effect at all.
Perhaps if those fins extended into the tube creating more surface area to absorb thermal energy. In reality though the intake charge is moving quite quickly and charge pipes are only warm/hot when stationary or under hard boost.

For the money I'd rather get a fuel cooler or something.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
if it was out in front of the rad cradle - maybe - but inside the engine compartment I think it might just soak up heat from the air around the motor

(in answer to Denis)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea just concerned that if i do the stock and the fmic it wold get warm threw transfer from the front to the stock one but it may not be that much and since its a vnt i probably will see no difference

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Plus you've added a second condensing chamber to the intake track, a second set of reductions and expansions, more ducting, more turns and bends, overall I personally feel you'll hurt things rather than improve them. Why don't you just front mount the stock cooler?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea that's true i have a intercooler for font mount the stock one i want it the stock spot what kind of tubeing do you guys use that's cheap and looks good im useing 2.25 stock size cause intercooler pipe and Silicone in expensive if i have two i will get the expensive stuff i all ready have a Silicone for my tube from the cooler to intake

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I like those intercoolers, I have 2 in the closet for future projects, looks like installation will be simpler. Sorry I don't have any actual experience with them yet, but I agree that 2 intercoolers in series would probably be a bad idea.

Those fin pipes, I doubt the air charge would be in there long enough to dissipate any heat. If you had a LONG run of that pipe and it was out in front in the cool air, then maybe it would be worth a shot, but not a small segment like that.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
From what i have heard from others, a VNT cooler DEFINITELY holds you back at 15psi, even on an otherwise stock motor. I seem to remember one story (maybe from old DDG?) about someone gaining like 20whp switching to a TII cooler which itself is fairly crappy intercooler, so that's really saying something.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
John, I think you are right. Since I am running a stock intercooler I would be better off looking at placing a heat wrap around the stock intercooler to prevent it from sucking up the heat from the radiator. What do you folks think.

Dennis

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
The worst problem with the stock intercooler is the location. Sitting right beside the radiator and not getting direct air flow from the front end causes them to heat soak fast. Getting the stock unit out front to fresh cool air could mean the difference of 20hp "retained" after a couple runs.

From DDG: The VNT and R/T intercoolers have less fins. So they flow better but don't cool as well. Why the VNT needed more flow I couldn't tell you. But honestly swapping it with a stock T2 probably isn't worth your time unless you really want to eek out that last hp from the stock setup. Front-mounting any intercooler is definitely the way to go from stock.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
John, I think you are right. Since I am running a stock intercooler I would be better off looking at placing a heat wrap around the stock intercooler to prevent it from sucking up the heat from the radiator. What do you folks think.

Dennis
The only reason to "wrap" your intercooler in anything is if you're planning on making an ice pocket or water cooling it. You need to keep the air flowing across the metal as much as possible to deal with the absorbed heat. Wrapping it will cause it to retain heat. You can try putting some sort of thermal barrier between the radiator and intercooler, but I doubt it would help much given the close proximity of the two. You'd be better off spending your efforts on front mounting it.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
"You'd be better off spending your efforts on front mounting it.". I think you are right!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
quick trick - next time you need a battery buy one for an omni / charger rather than the G,K or J body battery
the L body battery is smaller and won't block the airflow through the stock i/c so much as the bigger battery that sticks out behind the i/cooler

·
Registered
991 Posts
Has anyone had experience with making a home made water to air intercooler box? I was thinking of usig brake line sized hose rigged so it goes through a 4" pipe and it would be like 15" long and have about 50 of these and them have a water jacket around it to gol the water and have a small pump and small rad/ trans cooler mounted up front for the water

1 - 20 of 23 Posts