Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that a good way to "ballpark" your cam timing is to put a compression gauge on your engine and adjust the cam timing for maximum cylinder pressure. Is this a decent backyard method to get the timing close?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
That is the way I set mine up, I will test that theory this weekend on the dyno.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not acceptable method.

Use degree wheel with piece of stiff wire for pointer and dial indicator, piston stop. Google every where else for details on how to "read" a cam to determine where camshaft centerline is at.

Cheers, Wizard

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
That is the way I set mine up, I will test that theory this weekend on the dyno.
Please post results.

I'd be interested to see what advancing/retarding the cam does to EGT's as well (do you have an EGT guage to monitor that)?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Please post results.

I'd be interested to see what advancing/retarding the cam does to EGT's as well (do you have an EGT guage to monitor that)?
I will do 20psi 25psi then open dump and then play w cam timing on the last run. I do have egt, but I am no sure how to datalog at the dyno, maybe just put a camcorder in there. I am getting a data logger fom innovatemotorsports in a bit too.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
One the runs just write down what max EGT was during each pull. That should suffice. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I ended up cracking 2 pistons the night before. bleh. I will dyno this biatch soon, I put an ad in the wanted section for some used pistons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts