Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you may or may not know I have a project to get back into the TDs. I've been out for awhile but have plans to get one sometime here.
This is going to be a long-term and large-budget plan but I wanted to see what people thought and get advice about one thing.
I want to get an '87-89 Daytona and convert it to a "TurboZ". I already have the nose and ground effects, but the rear fin I'm going to use the '89 Shelby spoiler. Otherwise the exterior will be a TurboZ.
I'm up in the air on interior, but my biggest question is concerning the powerplant.
I have three main ideas, each of thm concern major engine work to buff them up and such, but I'm not sure which engine to start w/. Do I find an '87-89 Shelby as the car and just use the TII engine? Should I find any random Daytona and use an R/T engine? Whats w/ these hybrid engines using the Neon head?
I thought the TII would remain mostly true to stock and would definately be the easiest, but would it be more interesting/better to go w/ the R/T or something else? Just any thoughts would be great, I've been trying to decide for a little while now. Which one is going to throw the most power? Or should I be trying to keep this more "stock" and just build up the engine that should be in it? Anyways, any ideas, shoot!

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
ya budget forsure should play into this. Do what you think your budget can handle and what kind of work hours you want to put into this car. If you go all out with a t3 or a hybrid motor make sure you can finish it.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Consider the budget a non-issue. It will pretty much be a budgetless project that I want done perfect. It will be a car I will never sell and I want it to be tiptop. I just want to know the best setup that will produce the most power. How much fab work is the hybrid? So the hybrid is better than the R/T?
I havent read much into it yet, so its something I better look at some posts about eh?
I glanced at it, but there is nothing really saying how much better that setup is vs the TIII. If there isnt a HUGE different the TIII would seem to better to me since you can just get an R/T and swap everything over.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what, I've never said anything but I pretty much borderline hated those cars (Spirits, Lebarons, Shadows)...that is until I saw this one. Its nice to see they can be done nice. That thing is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Mad props on that thing guy!!
Anyways, I went thru this article pretty fast. I'll "study" it later when I'm not rushing so much, but correct me if I'm wrong an SRT4 swap wouldn't be much more difficult. Thats kind of the route I was leaning toward b/c parts and aftermarkets would be more plentiful than the TIII stuff. Thanks for that page though, that'll be very helpful in the future. And again, beautiful car!

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks for the props

Yep a SRT4 swap is basically the same amount of work. The only differences would be the passenger side mount and on a neon/SRT4 the AC and pwr steering are switched compared to a TD. The older 2.4's like mine take basically all the aftermarket SRT4 parts so thats why many just start with that and build it. I've seen 670WHP on this older 2.4 block/crank w/o failure, this was a large turbo and nitrous, SFWD setup.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help you two! I think that will be the idea then! First things first is finding the shell I'm going to use next!

· Registered
2,028 Posts
The best advice i could give you would be to do a lot of reading/research, it will save you time and money. Also make a plan on what the car is to be used for and what type of gas you want to use. Then pick a CR and fuel setup that matches this plan. You also need to figure what kind of electronics you will use as that plays a major part.

Also after you do reading then ask specific questions so you get better answers. I dont know much but have learned a lot, and still learning.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im in the first stage as you say of making a list. It sounds like an 88 body, w/ the TurboZ getup, SRT4 everything swap. From there I'll just swap in SRT mods and do other SRT type mods, as well as some major lightening of the body! Thats all I have planned for now, just need to get a shell and do the body work on it first before I get too far ahead of myself. I'll be sure to take some good pictures of the process, my brother is in the later stages of a V8 twin turbo RWD conversion, etc, etc...and hes yet to take one picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.