Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a question. i was thinking about putting an aftermarket hooker header on my carbed 2.2, five speed, rampage but when i got to looking at it, i think the shifter rod will get in the way. first off, will it get in the way? if so, could a modify something to get it in there? thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would bet the header was designed for a newer car ( at the least not for an l body) that had a cable shifted manual trans or an auto trans. The rod shifter will probably not work at all with the header. You could try to find a cable shifter to go with your trans or have the header modified to go around the rod shifter ( much like my 3" down pipe goes around my rod shifter). It probably will take some work

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is the header made for this car or it made for another 2.2 car? When you buy headers, they are application specific to fit the car. If it's for another car and from what you've said so far, it probably won't fit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I would bet the header was designed for a newer car ( at the least not for an l body) that had a cable shifted manual trans or an auto trans. The rod shifter will probably not work at all with the header. You could try to find a cable shifter to go with your trans or have the header modified to go around the rod shifter ( much like my 3" down pipe goes around my rod shifter). It probably will take some work
the header was built for all N/A 2.2/2.5, unless you get the mopar unit which was built for L Bodies and i think you will be fine as the collector is small enough to clear the Shift rod

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it sounds like i'm not going to have any problems. no i just have to scrape up enough to buy one. thank you everyone who had helpful input. i figured i should run the idea buy you guys before i took a leap. i will let everyone know how it goes(when it gets done. lol).

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i would just put a wanted ad up in the parts wanted section to see if you can pick one up for cheap

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would just put a wanted ad up in the parts wanted section to see if you can pick one up for cheap
i will definantly do that on another car. for now though, on this car, i think i'll either keep stock or fab up a custom one. i see the engine movement as a problem with the flex point in the exhaust gone. thanks for the input though.

·
Super Moderator
11,857 Posts
you could use a short flexable exhaust section - it looks like braded hose - sorry I dont have pic

you could get one from summit or such sort of place pretty cheep

shifter rod could be modded if jiged to retain original end positions while bent section is welded in to allow clearance

84 V linkage is diff from 85 ^ , 85 ^ linkage piviot is on top rear of diff instead of on crossmember -def an upgrade

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it sure does sound like a great upgrade, but i just took my cam off and found out it's broke. that's gonna set me back enought to put this little endeavor on a back burner. but thatnks for the great tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts