Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm installing some aftermarket gauges for my current build, one being water temp.

The sensor/probe that came with the gauge is considerably shorter than stock. I called the manufacturer and they don't make any longer probes.

I originally wanted to install the aftermarket sensor in the top of my water box. I have one of the heads that didn't get the plug from factory, so when a shop went through my head I had them drill the hole with enough clearance to do so. My thought was this would be a bit more accurate since there's some stagnation in #4 as we all know.

I don't think that'll work though as the sensor just won't make enough contact with water for an accurate reading.

My second thought then is to install the aftermarket sensor in the stock location. I'll likely lose functionality of the stock gauge, which I didn't want, but can live with.

Do you guys think that the sensor will have enough engagement to read accurately in the stock location? Here are some pics to give reference.

Wood Gas Nozzle Tints and shades Metal

Stock on left.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Flooring

Aftermarket sensor with supplied adapter. You can see this thing would need to be fully submerged to get a good reading.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Wrist Gas

Stock sensor in adapter.

Plumbing fixture Bathroom Plumbing Gas Circle

Aftermarket sensor and adapter finger tightened in head. Obviously I'd get a little more engagement if I wrenched it in, but not much..

Water Fluid Plumbing fixture Gas Liquid

Stock sensor in adapter. You can see it protrudes a bit more, but I'm still skeptical on if it would provide any accurate reading.

The other option would be to use the stock sensor for the aftermarket gauge. However, I don't know how to test the sensors to see if they have the same resistance/readings.

What do you guys think? I want to make sure I have accurate temps. Anybody work through this dilemma before?

Thanks!
-Zach

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Is that aftermarket sensor you got an NGK sensor?
And you can buy an aftermarket plug, then mount the new sensor in the original location.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that aftermarket sensor you got an NGK sensor?
And you can buy an aftermarket plug, then mount the new sensor in the original location.
Not sure what brand the sensor actually is, it's out at my dad's shop atm. It came with an equus gauge.

My thought was to mount it in the stock location, but I wasn't sure if it would protrude enough into the head to get an accurate reading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts