Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll explain the best I can, and very much appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Two days ago - wung it around a rotary, and it just died. Not much history with this car, so thought gas gauge was bad, and ran out. Would not even attempt to fire. Buddy came an hour later with 1.5 gallons, and it fired right up (suspiciously without any initial stumble/long crank that usually follows running dry). This may or may not be related to what happened today (below).

Driving home, cruising about 30, car starts jerking at regular intervals, about one per second. Seemed more ignition related, cuz not fuzzy, just dead off and dead on. Did this for 1/8 mile, then progressively gets worse and worse, power drops, and eventually dies while idling (still same one second interval, but the longer it occurs, the less and less power it's putting out). Get out and wiggle the HEP wires - no luck. Pull off the cap and rotor - pretty rusty, so I scratch it up with screwdriver - no change. Wait ten minutes, car starts and idles smoothly at almost two grand, but when given throttle, still cutting out. Wierd thing though - at WOT throttle, revs like a champ. Pull out into traffic, wheels screaming. Runs through 1 and 2 full throttle perfect. Have to stop cuz car in front. Idles slowly and with stumble eventually dies. Same cycle over and over:bang head. Got to a gas station and filled tank (needed it anyway).

Seems like if I let it sit and cool for a few minutes, I can full throttle it for a 1/4 mile or so, but then progressively looses all power and dies. Any throttle from 0 to 95 percent has almost no effect, as if the TPS was disconnected.

I plan on switching out the Logic Module with an unknown spare I have, hopefully I can at least limp it home.

Anyone have an experience like this? I'm pretty good with cars, but this is getting my goat:confused:. Any and all help is super-appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a quick check while I was waiting, and iirc, the codes were - 31, 34, 35, and 55.

I went back today and swapped a logic module, but no change. It's weird. Cold, it starts quickly and begins idling at nearly 2k firing all cylinders for about 3 seconds, then slows to normal idle for 5 more seconds, then starts stumbling until it quits.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
None of those would seem to relate to the engine cutting out. 31 is the Purge solenoid. 34 is the speed control circuit (cruise I presume). 35 is the radiator fan relay circuit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I go to tow it back, truck and towbar in hand. Start it to move it to the truck, and it seems OK, so I run it up the street, thinking it will start stumbling, but it was fine. Drove it home and all is good. I hate when this happens; I just wish it would break permanently - at least I could diagnose it.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
That's the trouble with aged electrical systems. They can have corroded contacts or some other issue that causes intermittent problems and diagnosing them is a headache. I would say the likely culprit is a failing relay or a wire not making good contact anymore. But here's to hoping it doesn't happen again anyways. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
That's the trouble with aged electrical systems. They can have corroded contacts or some other issue that causes intermittent problems and diagnosing them is a headache. I would say the likely culprit is a failing relay or a wire not making good contact anymore. But here's to hoping it doesn't happen again anyways. ;)
Which relay or contact would cause this?

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
As I said before, the HEP in my Laser acted exactly like this.I had to drive 30 miles to get my Daughter. when I got there I started it up and I drove it almost home before it quit again.So we left it at an old service station where it died and next morning we went to tow it home ,well it started so we dove it to within a block of home and it died again. Replaced the HEP no more problems.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
As I said before, the HEP in my Laser acted exactly like this.I had to drive 30 miles to get my Daughter. when I got there I started it up and I drove it almost home before it quit again.So we left it at an old service station where it died and next morning we went to tow it home ,well it started so we dove it to within a block of home and it died again. Replaced the HEP no more problems.
HEP is a good possibility. ASD relay cutting out when it gets hot could do it. Bad connection at the fuel pump or any of the related relays. Since electrical contacts are generally metallic, they tend to change with temperature. So letting it cool off would change it back to the working state. However, that's a long shot. I agree with you that it's more likely something simple, like an intermittent HEP problem. It's unusual for something to break and then fix itself. I'm just throwing out possibilities for when it happens again in the future (as it almost always does).

·
Registered
19 Posts
my shadow did this, it was sorta acting up, like low power, then fine again. I thought it was low fuel so filled up and drove it. Well later that day it was dying at slow speeds and wouldnt stay running. So after letting sit, it would start up and run great for about 3 minutes, then start sounding like it was missing and almost die out if not hitting the throttle. We changed every sensor we could (have access to a junkyard:p) and still no change. Anyways what was happening is the fuel pump was going out. It would cool down when you let it sit, then get warm while running and start shitting out. Try a new pump?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts