Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1988 LeBaron convertible has the air bag light stuck on. I can't find a print on the circuit. My horn works so I don't "think" it's the clock spring. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this beast!

·
Registered
694 Posts
First, make sure that everything is connected.
There are two accelerometers (impact sensors) near the front bumper. I am not sure exactly where they are on the LeBaron. Make sure that the sensors' connectors are clean and connected. Do the same with the harness connector on the air bag control module.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In another thread it mentioned using a scan tool to look at it. I used my ODB1 scanner and had no fault codes?

Found this in another thread posted my NAJ

If the light stays on you have an active fault in the SRS system.
You need a scan tool to access the SRS system thru the CCD bus connector to find the fault and correct the problem.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
You will not be able to access the SRS system with an aftermarket scanner, you will need a DRB2 and the appropriate cables.
The SRS diagnostic connector is located under the rear of the center console by the ABDM.
If you do not find an obvious problem you will need to retrieve the fault codes or you will be "pissing in the wind".

Be sure all fuses are intact and when checking connectors be sure the - battery cable has been isolated and disconnected for at least 2 minutes so the system is completly discharged.

The clockspring has different circuits running thru it so the horn working does not mean that the SRS part of the clockspring is working.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pissing in the wind! I've checked ALLDATA and my Factory Service Manual. I'm unable to locate a schematic! I checked ebay for a DRB2 with no luck. I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and see if I can locate the sensor(s). I've got the control module coming from Daytona Junkie. I've got a clock spring from Turbomini

·
Registered
694 Posts
Very few of the scanners available to the average consumer do not have the ability to read the airbag controller codes. (Just like the non-OBD-II antilock Brake codes.) The ones that can read the airbag codes cost $800+.

The first thing to do is to check the connectors (sensors, airbag, bulkhead, steering wheel harness, etc.) You can try to reset the airbag controller by pulling the proper fuse for c. 15 minutes.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Which FSM did you check?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1988 publication service manual wiring diagrams. FWDPerformance "Factory Service Manuals 1988". I also checked the 88p.pdf. By the way what does ABDM stand for?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I cannot find any reference to the 1988 LeBaron Convertible having airbags in 1988, but I did for the 1989 model year. Is the tenth digit of your VIN a "J" or a "K". "J" = 1988 model year, and "K" = 1989 model year. I can post the airbag wiring diagrams for 1989, if you would like.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
I cannot find any reference to the 1988 LeBaron Convertible having airbags in 1988, but I did for the 1989 model year. Is the tenth digit of your VIN a "J" or a "K". "J" = 1988 model year, and "K" = 1989 model year. I can post the airbag wiring diagrams for 1989, if you would like.
The wiring is in my 90 FSM Wiring Diagrams...
Section 8G (AG/AJ Body) under Airbag in the Table of Contents.

The Impact Sensors are located on the Radiator Closure Panel.
L/S is behind the battery tray and coolant bottle.
R/S should be visable

When you install your new clockspring be sure you properly center it before install.

"ABDM" may mean Airbag Diagnostic Module.
That is correct.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The wiring is in my 90 FSM Wiring Diagrams...
Section 8G (AG/AJ Body) under Airbag in the Table of Contents.
I am going off of AllData 10.10.1000 and the Mitchells manuals. It does show the airbag components in the 1988 parts list for the J, G, and M bodies, in the master parts list, though.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
If you are really intent on fixing the problem I would call your local dealer, tell them what you are working on and ask if they have the DRB2 with the appropriate cable and tell them all you want is to retrierve the fault codes and you have already removed the console so the diagnostic connector is easily accessilble.
Just remember that the car is 23 years old and thier DRB2 may be put away or have cables missing because it became obsolete in 1996 or they may not want to even be bothered.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
I am going off of AllData 10.10.1000 and the Mitchells manuals. It does show the airbag components in the 1988 parts list for the J, G, and M bodies, in the master parts list, though.
So you do not have an FSM?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I do not own any FSMs, only AllData software and 104 volumes of Mitchell manuals. CBMDennis, who is having the airbag issues, says that he has the FSM, for this vehicle, but could not find the information.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Mitchell and Alldata will only have info that was released by Chrysler.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mangelhaft please post the schematic's for the 89 LeBaron. Could you point me to the section you found it on alldata 10.10.1000 ? Where is the master parts list?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just bought the book off of ebay. Thanks JAN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts