Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Is this dude crazy doing this?

Alright, where are all the really smart old guys?

467 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Silverbeast 
#1 ·
Alright, here's the stage. Had a 1985 Dodge Omni with a Cage for racing. Most electronics worked like normal. It crashed and got bent up too much to use the same frame.

Got another 1985 Dodge Omni Chassis. Moved literally everything across. Motor, Tranny, Axles, Shocks, Knuckles, Brakes, Brake Lines, Brake Cylinder, Lexan Glass, Subframe, Rear Beam, Rear Shocks, Steering Column, Brake and Clutch pedals even.

Now I'm at the stage of rewiring up the car to fire pretty quick here. Trying to make and figure the plan as best I can. Car has a Carburetor on it currently. And Coil pack, Cap and Rotors.

So to make it run I'm trying to figure what I need minimum for wiring.
1. Battery
2. Master Kill switch setup
3. Positive Power to Starter, Positive power from starter button on the little solenoid signal wire...
4. Alternator is Negative grounded it looks like? I've played with neons mostly and they are Positive on the alternator and some other wires for the diode... Where exactly do the little wires on the Alternator go? Something must carry positive in there...
5. Coil. This looks like it works with just a basic positive on one spot and negative on the other cable. Cap and rotor is what decides to make it fire as it spins around. Can I just wire this thing direct to the Master kill switch on the positive side and just from the negative to the battery negative? Nothing special beyond that?

6. Rad fan (custom switch), Brake lights (wire up to brake switch), Rear lights (Customs switch), headlights (custom switch), Turn signals (Custom switches)

7. The 2 plugs in the tranny work just like a switch right for the backup reverse lights signal right?

Is there anything special from the coil/cap/distributor point of view? Is there some kind of electronic advance from that electrical computer component thing? It must get the tach signal from the wire that comes out from the side of the cap right? (I will likely add a custom tach, water temp, maybe oil pressure gauge). Does this ignition advance system do it's thing based on rpm? water temp? oil temp? Any other special signals? Can I just run those separate to custom gauges without messing the engine control system up?

I might not use a Speedo gauge or the stock cluster... This will be a circle track/dirt rally fun car.

Let me know all the finer details I really should know here!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.