Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the prospect for custom cals is pretty low, I thought it is about time to start discussing the piggyback and interceptor boxes and other methods...

For the purposes of this discussion I am defining them this way:
-Piggyback: boxes that do not require you to cut the wiring harness, but can only add fuel and retard spark.
-Interceptor: boxes that require cutting the wiring harness, but can reduce/increase fuel and advance/retard spark.
-Auxillary injectors controllers: (AIC) boxes that control one or more extra injectors. (some of the Piggyback and Interceptor boxes have AIC functionality.)

Some of the information that I am looking for:
-List of the boxes/options
-Compatibility of the boxes with our stock sensors/injectors.
-Unique features (ie. one Piggyback has a RPM cutoff raising feature.)
-Unique ways to use standard features (ie. using an output to control the fuel pump speed.)
-Who is selling the boxes at a good price.
-How well they work with turbo and non-turbo applications.
-List of books and links that accurately talk about these. (not necessarily Mopar specific.)
-How-to examples (especially 3L specific) of how to install and tune a box.

What I would like to avoid in this thread:
-Talk about stand-alone units. That is a topic that could easily fill _many_ threads.
-Talk about custom cals that is not relavent to Piggyback, Interceptor, AIC and similar boxes. There is already a thread out there for custom cals.

Right now I am about 1 month away from needing one to test on a normally aspirated setup and 3-4 months from testing one on a turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Megasquirt is standalone. This thread is for those who dont want to have to build a new wiring harness and tune etc. Here were looking at keeping stock computer and harness and just using an outside source to help control fuel when boost conditions come.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Oh...ok. The title was just alternatives to custom cals, so it was just an idea. Personally there isn't really a lot of wiring to these cars, so to me rewiring isn't a major concern, and I would like the all around driveability and performance gains of the stand alone. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
check out 14Point7

i got my wide band form them and they were working on a poggy back that had a load of options and was under 200 dollars i think
Are you talking about their UAFC? Not sure how they are adding fuel. Are they pulsing an auxiliary fuel injector?

I also notice that they don't seem to have a TPS input. (or is this what the 0-5v external input for?) Looks like some potential.

I am definitely interested in there wide-band setup.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How about something that just controls fuel through the RPMs by creating the right air/fuel ratio? That could also raise the RPM limit right?

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First, this thread is NOT about stand-alone ECMs. If you want to discuss them, go start a separate thread. There is plenty to discuss about them. If you are not interested in discussing piggyback/interceptor boxes, don't post.

Second, the reason for a piggyback system is I can use the stock cals which are correct 90+% of the time and augment them for the few areas needed. Yes you can get a stand-alone running, but I intend for this to be on a daily driver. So I want the calibrations very good, the system reliable, and the gauges working with minimal effort.

Third, I believe the FT60 interceptor box (and possibly others) has a RPM cutoff raiser mode.

Fourth, the more I look at the Greddy e-Manage the more I like it. The fuel is piggyback and the ignition is interceptor. I have started putting together a spreadsheet of the options that I will post soon for additions and corrections.

So far I have (in no particular order):
-Greddy e-Manage (and e-Manage Ultimate)
-Perfect Power (SMT6, SMT7, TF10, FT60)
-HKS (AFR Type D, AIC, PFC F-CON)
-Vishnu Xede
-14point7 UAFC

Keep the options coming.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im not sure what 14.7 had before it was a few months back and i thought it it used the tps signal but i cant find any of it on the site now, il do more searching

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RICE
probley too good to be true for 200 .

built in wide band and electronic boost control
and everthng else you want

but i guess it never got released

·
Registered
282 Posts
any one tried a map adjuster works by changing the 5v ref voltage , saw the over on a jeep 4.0l site they had plans on how to make one

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
your probley gona get mad at me, but you can use megasuirt just for fule control
but i guess its still a lot of work, ecu runs the ignition and megasquirt takes over fule, but then again you still gota run the air intake temp sensor, tap in to tps and and all that crap

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
any one tried a map adjuster works by changing the 5v ref voltage , saw the over on a jeep 4.0l site they had plans on how to make one
There are several of the interceptor boxes that will lie to the ECU about the airflow. HKS AFR Type D is one example. The problem (especially with a speed density approach) there are limits to how much you can lie to the ECU. Then what do you do?

That said, I have wondered if one of these interceptor boxes (AFR Type D, e-Manage, SMT6, etc.) might help idle when running a big cam (which reduces idle vacuum.)

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your probley gona get mad at me, but you can use megasuirt just for fule control
but i guess its still a lot of work, ecu runs the ignition and megasquirt takes over fule, but then again you still gota run the air intake temp sensor, tap in to tps and and all that crap
The problem is much of the cals I want to keep are fuel cals... During idle, closed loop, and moderate TPS/RPM the ECU does just fine. Running mega-squirt for fuel would require me to redo those too...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.