Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is needing to be replaced. It sounds like a rock tumbler... And throws a CEL saying it is shorting and two battery voltage codes.

My questions are which brand and what amp output? I think there is 90 and 120 amps.

I was wondering if the alternator going bad could give the car false coolant temp readings too? The display on the dash lights were going from dim to bright randomly. Also, my engine temp is going up for no apparent reason, but when it dropped in temp quickly... it seemed more like an electrical problem as the fan doesn't seem capable in AZ heat to drop temps that fast.

Could also be the temp sensor...but since the alternator sounds like a rock tumbler and is throwing a code...

I checked the coolant and oil for the possible blown head gasket. I don't believe it has.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Your alt is likely a denso, on the body end near the pulley there are a number of small square pegs, I understand this can be translated to a 90amp or 120.
I only have the 90 amp. Is your car loaded with options? If so a 120amp maybe a good option,
Disconnect the battery to clear the codes. run the car with the field coils of the alt disconnected. If the car works good and no codes the alternator is the issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have power locks, windows, and the power seat.
Not sure if I need the 120 amps just for that.
But I do have the 190lph fuel pump.
Doubt it is much more power draw... but.
I kind of think of it as it is only apparently around $10 difference between the 90 and 120 amp.
I also have a ground wire kit installed, but not sure if that matters.

Brand wise, is Denso one of the better ones?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Sure why not get the 120 amp!!! People like the denso better than the Bosch which is better than the Cryco unit. A good Alternator ground is a big plus

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the bearing and brushes from rock auto. they were on clearance a while back and I stocked up.

OP, Sorry for not reading the part about the alternator being a rock tumbler, rebuilding wouldn't help at that point. odds are you had the 90amp, I'd get whatever is on clearance at rockauto myself. I've had no problems interchanging brands. there should be a tag on the old one if your concerned about the amps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts