Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a tensioner brakcet for my L body (SC)... somone mentioned that the L body's are L body specific due to lack of space....

is this accurate information? or can i get away with a non L body bracket?

will a denso alt w/ bracket work maybe?

thanks
mark

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
The passenger side motor mount bracket is special for the L-bodies. Are you thinking of that?

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
I think he meant the bracket with the long adjuster bolt. You know, the alternator belt tensioner? :p
Yeah, I got that.:p

I just didn't think they were different.

donalson said:
somone mentioned that the L body's are L body specific due to lack of space....
I knew the engine bracket was different.

:confused:

Great. Now I wanna know. I've always been a L-body guy so I never played with the K's or EEK's.

Are they the same or what?:rolleyes:

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
there are different brackets among the years.
Right, for different alternators...

But for the same alternator?
I'm gonna assume that means they are the same from body to body for each style of of alternator.
Thats what I originally thought:)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I know that an '86 Daytona and an '86 Omni, both TI 5-spd's, wouldn't interchange for me. Both cars had a/c, but the Daytona had a bigger alt. Maybe that's why brackets were different? Except for the '79, all my L-bodies-AC &non AC, Turbo, carbed, & FI , had the same alt tensioner bracket.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I have seen both the L-body and other body cars tend to have different alternators. Since the L-body has less room in front of the engine, the bracket tends to bolt straight onto the main body of the alternator. But the other body styles tend to have a mounting point off to the side of the alternator, which is where the bracket hooks up to. I do have a few L-body brackets as well as the Non-L-body brackets, and all that I have seen, they are different. But the engine mounts that are different from the years is the passenger side, front, and if a manual, the dog bone. They all are shorter due to the narrower wheel base and the smaller engine bay. But just let me know if you are interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts