Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I'm tired of puking alternators out of my 87 SC.
Also getting hard to find those old Chrysler style units around here.
What are my options with out changing brackets ??
I would like to just swap in something and just redo the wire ends if that is at all possible. THanKs!!

· Registered
449 Posts
Ok...I'm tired of puking alternators out of my 87 SC.
Also getting hard to find those old Chrysler style units around here.
What are my options with out changing brackets ??
I would like to just swap in something and just redo the wire ends if that is at all possible. THanKs!!
my 86 is running the newer style alternator after my old one took out the positive cable anyways. i have one of those molded ends that fits on the alternator it was out of an 89 acclaim harness and just took swap the feild coil wires in the one plug and thats about as hard as it was dont even think i changed the bracket but dont remeber off the top of my head i think mine is a 90 amp im running now its more than enough for me. are you drawing to much what stereo you got in it etc.

· Old School Hot Rodder
1,784 Posts
I don't know which Bosch you are referring to, but Bosch alternators were used on some applictions. Which "old style" are you using? The carbureted engines used a Chyrsler similar to the old RWD cars with a firewall mounted regulator. Some of the early TBI and turbo engines may have used it too, but with the computer controlled field. The only difference I saw was the tension arm style, the main mounting bracket is the same design from 85 up till somewhere in the 90s from the ones I have seen.

· Old School Hot Rodder
1,784 Posts
Ok, that was the one used up through 87 on the carbed L bodies. You will need to cut the small (blue and green) wires off the molded plug and install connectors that match the early alternator. Your power module should control it fine. Just be sure your power and ground wires are connected properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.