Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92.shadow 2.5 non turbo,I would like to know which alt.would give me the most amps.and what year would fit my car alternator on mine is charging 40 percent I've heard different years have more power than mine thank's for any help.:hello2:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
do you know what alternator is on the car? By 92 mopar used pretty much only bosch and denso alternators. Bosch looks kinda square corners going from the side to the front and back. In my opinion they are not as good as the denso. I know they made those in 90 amp but am not sure if they make any other ones. The denso is easier to ID they are more rounded corners as it changes from side to front or back plus they have a tin cover on the back making it easy to ID. Those came in 90 and 120 amp. If there is no tag left on it or is unreadable the denso 90 amp is 4 7/8 inches in diameter and the 120 amp is 5 3/8 inches in diameter. They should all swap in.

How did you determine it is only charging 40%? The denso alternator is very reliable and the first thing usually to fail is the brushes after many years of service and can be replaced very easy without splitting the case of the alternator. Remove the tin cover and they are right there. When they wear out the alternator does have trouble putting out max amps. Getting a set of brushes off an alternator in a junk yard is easy and should be cheap.

One thing to consider if you do ungrade to a higher amp alternator is if the battery cable on the back of the alternator is up to the task of the higher amp unit.
Tim

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a denso alt.the diodes are bad I replaced the alt from another car and it had the same problem, tested the diode under the tin plate,the 120 amp unit is on which car.thank's

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
how did you determine it was only charging 40%?

Its rare for a denso to have bad diodes let alone to have 2.

Most highly optioned cars would have a 120. But that doesn't mean it still has one. Most parts stores will sell you what they have in stock instead of what you have. Most stock the 90 amp and don't stock the 120. so many 120 alternators have been replaced with 90 amps and the people didn't know. I caught the local parts store do this to my brother in-law. Take a tape measure with you all 120's are 5 3/8 inches in diameter. If the OEM tag is viewable there will either be a 90 or 120 in the numbers on the tag.

Tim

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
Maybe this will help with alternator id.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts