Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem I am the only person on the planet who has a 3.0L in a EEK car that has an EGR system on it.

Looking around the forums and stuff, when planning my build I had decided that turning the plenum around would be best (like many others have done with success). Not even thinking (my bad), I milled some intake spacers, got them all ready, then as I goto dry fit the intake assembly - lower intake, fuel rails, thermostat housing, spacers and plenum - on the bench, i realize that the EGR system hangs down so low that the thermostat housing won't fit. I'm remedying this by just building a full custom plenum, but it was fabbing that I wasn't intending. Shit happens I guess :)

I've looked around the forums here and it appears that nobody has mentioned this (that I can find at least). Could it be that my engine was transplanted from a different vehicle before I bought it? Just seems so many people have EGR-free vehicles, and I'm the odd one out.

Some Info:
93 Shadow ES 2 door.
3.0L - A604 Auto

·
Registered
577 Posts
California Models got EGR's mostly, most of the 48 state cars didn't receive one. I had one of the 48 state cars, so i had no EGR.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car is canadian. As for the engine, who knows! I know that shouldn't really make a difference, as 87turbodance has a canadian v6 with no EGR.

I apparently am the odd one out it seems.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i have seen 3.0s with egr systems. i belive i have seen it in a spirit and a shadow. im almost certain

the custom intake will be worth it im sure

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
yeah ive never seen one with an egr... just get a plenumn without it! not gonna kill ya id assume :thumb:
only noobs have egr's....j/k but seriously though gtfo outta here with that egr noise!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The later Canadian 3.0s all seem to have EGR. Mine being an '89 is pretty old but all the new ones seem to have EGR. The '00 Caravan I pulled heads off of last week had EGR.

I did notice that on my last emission test I had to pull a bunch of timing and add some fuel to get my NOx numbers low enough. It was hard to keep the NOx low while not raising the HC and CO too much so I can see where EGR would be useful. Late model motors seem to keep the exhaust valve open longer to let some exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures at light throttle (and in-turn NOx). This is why a lot of newer motors don't have EGR valves.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have etesting, but hopefully they won't notice the EGR system missing. Like I said, I'm just gonna fab an entirely new plenum. some Stainless and welding. Plus, I'd like to have the ability to run a 60mm+ TB without having to use serious filler (JB Weld) on the factory plenum to be able to port match the TB to plenum mouth. But I definitely will be keeping the factory plenum incase it is required for etest.

To be honest, I would love to get an 87 Shadow and transplant everything in - 87 is the cut off point for etest here in Ontario at least.

Or just get an 87 VIN, but that would be illegal :p

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I etested my Spirit last September. It was blatantly obvious that I had no emission equipment except for a cat and I left my laptop on the front seat on the passenger seat running a datalog in tuner studio. The tech guy just said: "Cool! Is that a Caravan motor?" as he tried to start my car in gear with the clutch out and then stalled it three times in a row trying to back out of my parking spot and into the garage. I guess he wasn't expecting a 5 speed Spirit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol.. no doubt. I would never expect to see a 5spd EEK around. To be honest, the only manual EEK I have ever seen was an old 2.2 T1 Daytona. Seems like I live in the auto capitol of canada. Having a difficult time finding a 543 for my Shadow.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
It would seem I am the only person on the planet who has a 3.0L in a EEK car that has an EGR system on it.

Looking around the forums and stuff, when planning my build I had decided that turning the plenum around would be best (like many others have done with success). Not even thinking (my bad), I milled some intake spacers, got them all ready, then as I goto dry fit the intake assembly - lower intake, fuel rails, thermostat housing, spacers and plenum - on the bench, i realize that the EGR system hangs down so low that the thermostat housing won't fit. I'm remedying this by just building a full custom plenum, but it was fabbing that I wasn't intending. Shit happens I guess :)

I've looked around the forums here and it appears that nobody has mentioned this (that I can find at least). Could it be that my engine was transplanted from a different vehicle before I bought it? Just seems so many people have EGR-free vehicles, and I'm the odd one out.

Some Info:
93 Shadow ES 2 door.
3.0L - A604 Auto
Don't be surprised. My 95 Lebaron convertible's original motor had EGR. I got a motor from a 92 Spirit without EGR.
I used the manifolds from the 92 while I am saving the 95 3.0 for rebuild (some day soon) first few hundred kms I would get an check engine light every ones in a while. The car runs niiiiice and passed emitions last november for the second time around with flying colors.
Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just block the EGR passages, and try to work out a good tune then get a "NEW" 3-way Catalyst and you should be good to go...........

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my solution:

Pipe is bored to 60mm, with tonnes of material to spare if I need to machine it down further and the mounting plate is about 4 1/2" square. Only look at a 58mm TB for the moment, but gave myself some room to grow. Now I just need to get the throttlebody, mount and cut the mounting holes.

I'm just going to use some Felpro gasket material and silicone on both sides to seal her up tight (the TB extension, not the plenum). The bolts that hold the plate to the mouth are countersunk below the surface by about 2 thou.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Very nice, what I would suggest is when you have everything ready tack the top plenum to the mouth tube in two places and the bottom plenum to the mouth tube in two places
for your testing and fill up the gap to seal with 3M 5200 fast cure, you can buy it in any marine store. it will cure like solid semi-flexible urethane. If you want to remove it and clean it use Xylene and it will soak up and come out no problem.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My lebaron is from California and has an EGR system on the 3.0

It's funny when I get smogged most times the idiot can't find it without my help, it's on the back of the motor but not really hidden at all!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.