Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
That is a nice looking van! I wonder how he did the rear suspension. That would be an interesting mod. Dunno how he got the springs to handle the weight and all, and also vans are wider! Now I REALLY want to know!!

He did a good job nontheless!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've got to find out what them bumpers on that van are from.
is that a body kit or something the grand caravans came with.
hmm..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Still with the v6 and 5spd combo, in a good lookin van like that. I would have SO MUCH FUN!

·
Registered
314 Posts
the guy who owns this van contacted me with information about his rear suspension, here is what he had to say.

"I added 2 pieces ( 1 per side ) of 2" x 6" x 3/16" mild steel tubing between the "unibody" seam and the actual frame where the suspension from the shadow lined up best.
Then I welded the front brackets from the drag links to the tubing.
I plated ( reinforced ) the trunk area from in side where the spare tire hangs underneath and bolted the torque arm from the panhard bar to the plate, I welded the other side of the bracket to the frame behind the drivers rear tire.
The whole problem with this conversion is that the rear suspension of the shadow/lebaron/ect.. is shorter in width than the van is.
It requires buying billet aluminum addapters for the rear wheels to space them out, which are about 1.5" in thickness a side as well as buying rims that are uni-lug ( 5 x 100 / 5 x 4.25 ) so that they fit the front pattern as well as the back because the addapters will be 5 x 100 to 5 x 4.25.
I am planning on switching out the drum ( shadow ) for the daytona disc rear.
The front end is strut tower dropped, not cut coils or different springs.
I took the top 4" of the shadow strut tower and welded it to the top of my vans stut tower after cutting off the top of the vans strut tower.
Dropping it so low I had to raise the engine so the half shafts didn't bind.

Hope that explains it for ya ... "

course it's easy for him. since he does fabrication for a living.
but it's nice to see people fabricating things like this.
I still can't find any covered bumpers like his
I'll figure something out. it looks really clean with them bumpers instead of the stock steel ones with the plastic ends and rubber strip.
hope this helps people that were wondering.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That is a sick van. If only it was easier to find a V6/5-speed combo we could all have manual vans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts