Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
being too small the runners should be as short as possible. Looks like lots of room to hack a few inches off the intake.

huge fan of the plenum, very nice. In my case I went with a plenum to reflect intake pulses out of boost, which doesn't happen with a curved plenum. But yours has longer runners too though. So it most likely doesn't matter.

It is hard to mess up an intake, the engine is normally happy with a hack job over stock just to get the air. You've done some nice work and it'll reward you. Hope you have the cam and head to go with it as the intake will let you rev like an NA 2.2

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
being too small the runners should be as short as possible. Looks like lots of room to hack a few inches off the intake.

huge fan of the plenum, very nice. In my case I went with a plenum to reflect intake pulses out of boost, which doesn't happen with a curved plenum. But yours has longer runners too though. So it most likely doesn't matter.

It is hard to mess up an intake, the engine is normally happy with a hack job over stock just to get the air. You've done some nice work and it'll reward you. Hope you have the cam and head to go with it as the intake will let you rev like an NA 2.2

small cross sectional area means velocity. there are a few reasons i didnt hack the runners any shorter. the main one is the owner just wanted me to mod the plenum to make it larger like some of the other ones seen on here, but i decided to go a bit further because i get excited when i do something new. some others are.... im not sure of the room back there, i dont want to loose all the low end and get peak power out of range and last but not least i wanted to keep it some what similar to the stock style to run the throttle body in the stock location.

thank u sir. not saying by any means you, but alot people always like he bring up the pulse wave tuning and ask me what wave i was tuning my manifold for when i designed it when they dont even know what their talking about in the first place. im not an engineer, i dont have any degrees in fluid dynamics or anything im a guy that likes to fabricate on the side that has done some reading and has cut and tried over they years and have figured out what works. and a well rounded answer is anything over stock in most situations will net u gains somewhere in ur rpm range. this manifold should give great mid range and top end power with some slight loss in tq down low.

im not sure of the owners setup, ill see if he wants to chime in here so he can get in on the conversation.

mike

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have you measured the height of the intake compare to a stock one?
Your looks like it's a little higher than stock.
Looks great, might fit in a Shadow or Daytona, but I'm not sure about an Omni or Charger.

Its going in a sundance, not sure which one that equivalent to but over all it sits about 2” higher then stock.

shadow.... That's an 80 grit finish using 3/8” .

Mike

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Very nice! :thumb: Did you do any welding around the bolt areas when you removed the casting "bumps"? I know you need to do this for the 2 piece intake, but not all 1 pieces need it if memory serves.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well my phone takes shitty pics so I grabbed my wifes and took some new runner porting pics and some plenum floor to runner welds because I like showing my welds off....... gonna radius the runners to the floor right now ill have some more pics up later.

Mike

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks and Good read, I haven't seen that one before. like I said I'm not engineer nor do I have access to any fluid model programs, I've just did some research and cut and tried over the years. I will say that my final design is like a rounded version of that guys final design though, which is good. I'm gonna have a tube linking the t body to plenum on mine though.

Mike

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok got the floor radiused to the runners and now I'm currently welding the plenum up.

that being said i have some questions....... How many provisions do these plenums need anybody? And what size are they? I threw all the stock pieces away but by looking at pics it looks like I need one 3/8” pipe tapped hole for the brake booster, one for an air inlet temp sensor (or is that MAP?) And one 1/4” pipe hole for pcv. Just 3 correct?

Mike

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Im gonna welds a block on the back side of the plenum for everything. I'm just gonna put 2 3/8” pipe tapped holes and 2 1/4” pipe tapped holes. if he doesn't need then then he can plug them. Plenum is almost done.

Mike

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
very nice welds and port blending.

I like 4 3/8 holes

map / fuel reg
air temp
brake booster / cruize
PCV

· Super Moderator
12,273 Posts
Ok got the floor radiused to the runners and now I'm currently welding the plenum up.

that being said i have some questions....... How many provisions do these plenums need anybody? And what size are they? I threw all the stock pieces away but by looking at pics it looks like I need one 3/8” pipe tapped hole for the brake booster, one for an air inlet temp sensor (or is that MAP?) And one 1/4” pipe hole for pcv. Just 3 correct?

Mike
that would be the intake air temp sensor - "charge temp sensor" - deffinately need a spot for that - or put in the tubeing right in front of the throttle body
- which is said to give a more accurate reading

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Thank u sir, I went ahead with what I said above. I got the plenum welded to the runners so heres some pics of that and I'll have a few of the vacuum block up a little later.......

Mike
This reminds me how bad my welds look lol. Are you going to add a 90 and cone down for the TB?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Lol and Yes sir, I'm gonna finish it tomorrow. Everything is cut out and ready to go I just need to weld it all together. Heres the pics of after I welded the vacuum rail on the back of the plenum. Ill have finished pics up tomorrow. And don't mind the tag I try to get it in with most pics of my fab work.....

Mike

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
where as it looks clean vac isn't clean. Some times you get real flow with the PCV, or a leak in the booster. You then get irregular pressure at the map when the PCV is right next to it. So for clean vac it is best they have some distance from each other, though a PITA to add. It may be just best to have the reg / map on it's own line and don't worry about the rest

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've been doing it like this on my neon intakes (and all the other various intakes I've made) for 6 years now and this is the first ive heard of this. But at the same time most people who are putting theses intakes on there cars are not running pcv they are just running them to an atmosphere vented catch can setups.

Oh and as for the elbow, its not tapered its just a 2.5” tube from plenum to t body mounting plate.

Mike

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.