Turbo Dodge Forums banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
I love the physics of it all, maybe more than actually racing anymore lol. Pulsing air causes issues, like when an old speed catches and makes a speed read higher. Pulsing or surging air causes the wrong map readings. Having a strong solid map reading and fuel pressure control is very important.

I am a big fan of smooth air expansion into the plenum. Directing air at high pressure into the plenum can cause a wash effect. With a square plenum this makes a reflective socket for the air to slam into and stack. Your plenum reflects boost towards the back cylinders, 1 and 2. That type would want a smooth expansion to remove turbulence. So a square plenum will stack and feed all the cylinders evenly. Yours need to transition into the plenum smoothly to feed the 3-4 cylinders. If your picking up what I'm putting down lol. The reflective property's of the design don't want a high velocity directed air entrance.

· Registered
263 Posts
Have you noticed the general design of V8 intakes on new vehicles? The runners appear to wrap around the outside but the interior side of the runner eventually open to the plenum. Not sure how to replicate that with one of our intakes, but curious as to if that would allow for a more even distribution of air between cylinders.
Mopar HEMI 6.1L Intake Manifold for Dodge Challenger and LX | shopHEMI.com

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
now that is beautiful, curious to see how much one would cost to make up exactly like that as that has got me wondering about putting my 2 piece on or having you make me one LOL

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Have you noticed the general design of V8 intakes on new vehicles? The runners appear to wrap around the outside but the interior side of the runner eventually open to the plenum. Not sure how to replicate that with one of our intakes, but curious as to if that would allow for a more even distribution of air between cylinders.
Mopar HEMI 6.1L Intake Manifold for Dodge Challenger and LX | shopHEMI.com
I've been looking at barrel intakes since 92 lol.

Our intakes alread are built like that, the runners don't cross so the look is a little different.

The reason for the shape is equal length runners, good plenum size and a good runner angle for cylinder filling. The issue is they aren't modded easy and your stuck with them. So after market intakes are made to replace them for higher RPM.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I love the physics of it all, maybe more than actually racing anymore lol. Pulsing air causes issues, like when an old speed catches and makes a speed read higher. Pulsing or surging air causes the wrong map readings. Having a strong solid map reading and fuel pressure control is very important.

I am a big fan of smooth air expansion into the plenum. Directing air at high pressure into the plenum can cause a wash effect. With a square plenum this makes a reflective socket for the air to slam into and stack. Your plenum reflects boost towards the back cylinders, 1 and 2. That type would want a smooth expansion to remove turbulence. So a square plenum will stack and feed all the cylinders evenly. Yours need to transition into the plenum smoothly to feed the 3-4 cylinders. If your picking up what I'm putting down lol. The reflective property's of the design don't want a high velocity directed air entrance.
like I said.... I'm not an engineer but I know I've never had issues with this before. the plenum is a reservoir for boost waiting for the next intake valve to open. Once under boost any given area in that plenum will have the same pressure reading. Yes there are pulses in there but that's going to happen on any engine boosted or n/a. As for ur reasons for moving the map to a different location well, hopefully ur brake booster isn't leaking and I'm guessing most wouldn't be hitting the brakes unless they are off the gas and coming to a stop so that takes care of that. Run a vented catch can instead of pcv, I don't think fuel pressure a boost gage or intake air temp would mess with the reading so those are ok.

As for the hemi intake sparky, pope is right. I would like to add that they are like that so the runners can still be long for good bottom end without taking up tons of room in the engine bay.

Mike

· Registered
40 Posts
Im the owner, I am really happy with the turnout of the intake mani so much more thought and time went into then i expected. I just asked for a sheet metal plenum and a quick port then he went, as you can see, above and beyound what I asked for. Highly recommend him for any fab work needed! Can't wait to see it in person!

My build consists of 2.5l, 40 over wisecos, h-beams, arp everything, fm 475 cam with their valve train, turbos unleashed hybrid header, 50 trim turbonetics (prob. going to go bigger when money allows), custom 3" mandrel swing valve with external wastegate +40s getting ID 1200s because i want to run e85. I pretty much have everything i need to finish this besides a ported head and possibly going with megasquirt for ease of getting it dyno tuned.

· Premium Member
6,987 Posts
ok guys, i cleaned up the thread. i'm only gonna say this once so listen up, if there is a problem between you two guys,take it up in pm's NOT out in the public. if this persists, warning points and vacations are coming.

· Premium Member
6,987 Posts
i understand your complaints and issues but again you are going about it the wrong way, you cant just openly bash him in the regular threads, goto the feedback section and post your experiences with dealing with him and argue with him through private messages, not in public, it doesnt look good for anyone involved.(forum included)

· Premium Member
6,987 Posts
ammfab, you do nice work, but if you are going to show your work and try to source work from this forum you will need to contact the admin for info on becoming a supporting vendor, no vendors ride for free here, they all pay to advertise and so should you since this is your business.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Moving forward (btw thanks mods) heres the rest of the pics of the finished manifold. I ran out of argon or the tag would be welded on all around. Lmk know what u guys think.....

Just finished this modified turbo dodge shadow intake manifold, and I through a non turbo eclipse intake in the last pic also......

Mike

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I don't expect to sell any of these on here nor am I trying. Like I said I like showing off my work and who better to show it to then the guys who would really appreciate it. That being said...... U have my number chip its been the same for the last year or so. So u could call me any time, but u choose to try and bash me on the forums instead. u hold up ur end I'll hold up mine just like we talked about. If u don't want to do that then lmk and we can get this thing going. I bet u thought u werent going to get ur head or intake from me either. I don't rip people off sir, never have and never will.

Mike

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
i would like to have one of them made, i will have to contact you later down the road

· Registered
629 Posts
I was thinking of doing the 3.3 neck and cut the back of the 1 piece and make it look stock but when I cut the neck from the 3.3 manifold I notice you can used the 3.3 plenum as a instant plenum for our manifold all you need to do is cut the runners and fins inside the 3.3 plenum and weld a plate to make it fit to our 1 piece runners. The 3.3 neck also will have to be cut and turned.

Now I need to find another 3.3 manifold cause I already hack this one damm.

Trying to put up pics of the cut out of the 3.3 manifold. I'm working on it.

· Registered
629 Posts
Ok got the pic's now you can see how the 3.3 plenum looks from the out side and inside. The out side you can see how the radius goes down to the #1 runner. Cut the runners off the bottom of the plenum and weld a plate so it fits our 1 piece. Inside the plenum you gut out the fins. Then cut the TB neck and turn it. It should work right.

Oooops lol

· Premium Member
6,987 Posts
welds look fanfriggintastic but we dont know how it flows, for the money, i'd have to seriously consider getting 1 done by shadow or pope, either one would have known, proven work done, i'm NOT trying to knock amm, that thing looks awesome, but we dont know how much of an improvement if any there is with it, unlike if shadow or pope does one, you know what it will do after the work is done, just my 2 pennies worth.

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
the big one is dropping it on the flow bench to see how bad the intake nukes the flow. Shadows 1 piece is sectioned, so the runners are a 1/4" taller inside. That is huge for volume. Then plenum wise I don't see an issue, this one looks large enough. My intake uses a big plenum but a hogged out 2 piece lower section, which has big runners.

Long story short if you have a stock valve or +1 valve head this intake will feed it. My intake slightly restricts the big valve head, Shadows runners are a little bigger. So you look at intake flow like exhaust, bigger and also as smooth, flow better. There not so much like a cylinder head where you look for perfect shape.

Still if you have a mild ported head and a larger turbo / IC for high boost PSI this will help a lot. If you have a big valve you can bet your not using it. Being no insult either, you just can not port a 1 piece to that level. But how many run a big valve head? lol

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.