Turbo Dodge Forums banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. the owner its not going to be doing a before and after but I know its going work and work well. I'm of the opinion that the design of the stock manifold is not going to match the flow of this thing. Ported or not. I wish I could make believers of u guys but I can't.

If I sold one it would be more then most would want to pay.

Mike

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
so you think the plenum effects the runner CFM? It doesn't effect the flow of the runners at all other than to help the air get in a little better. There nearly a straight piece of pipe, size of the pipe greatly effects flow. Now I didn't say it doesn't do ok, flowing with a +1 valve ported head is a big compliment. With a 170 CFM +1 valve head it'll drop the flow to about 150. Lot better than a stocker that flows 122 CFM. But the intake will stall hard around 150, so even a big valve head won't change it.

I port and I flow bench my stuff with and without the heads bolted up. If you did the same you'd know the factory 8v castings hit a brick wall of flow. Just porting the 2 piece hits it near 170 CFM and the 1 piece is about 150 CFM, both on a 185 CFM head. That is a fact of life with people experianced with porting this engine. You have to make custom runners, 655 size at least to get intake flow up. As of now the highest flow your going to get is the Lonewolf intake. But built completely from scratch and bigger runners changes that.

But there is more to life than runner CFM too, how an intake works helps a lot. This intake will work tons better, regardless whether or not it flows a lot better. And being these are turbo cars how they work is as important

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I don't flow my intakes, I do flow my heads though. All my intakes have been proven on the dyno in the past minus this one. I don't think the plenum effects cfm of the runners, I do think it helps direct air into then though. Ill be more clear and say...... I'm of the opinion that my intake will out perform most if not all other modified 1 piece intakes out there. I don't care what a flow bench says I'm talking about on the dyno or track. Flowing is just a tool to tell u if ur going in the right direction. Its too bad these are such a PITA to change or I'm sure some body could test it vs some others.

Mike

· Premium Member
6,987 Posts
that is true on all points but you are kinda selling the membership a lil short by saying noone would buy one if you did make them, guys have bought and still buy some pretty expensive parts for their cars, now the parts they are buying are proven to work with dyno,flowbench and track time behind them, untill you do that,become a vendor and post an asking price your right noone will buy one because noone knows how much they cost and when they would get it if ever, you should take baby steps and start with becoming a vendor, then work out a deal with the owner of that intake to do some dyno pulls and such, you already have the intake, so you could do the flowbenching no problem, then it's off to the track to see what it gains you, providing that info is huge to anyone not just the turbo dodge crowd.

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I'm of the opinion that my intake will out perform most if not all other modified 1 piece intakes out there.

Mike
Easy now, you need to be aware of what else IS out there before making a statement like this........

Your intake looks Sick! Great build quality and well thought out and I have no doubt it will perform very well up to 400WHP, maybe even 450WHP and 6500-7000rpm. That says alot as I can count how many are making that kind of power one my hands with one of these 8vs!

So for 99% of this community it would be all they would need. Having said that, there are a few out there who have ventured further along the path of HP and as Pope pointed out, the 1 piece has a serious "Flaw" in it's runner design that Must be addressed or power Will suffer. If you were to port the lower runners enough to overcome this flaw you would have gone right through the casting, so welding IS a must to really make one of these work on 450+WHP applications.

Again, no one is Hacking on your intake and none of this is flaming! Your intake is Great, but it is Not THE BEST intake ever made from a 1 piece, although it may be defined as THE best intake made from a 1 piece with no welding or mods to the stock cast runners! :thumb:

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
yeah another guy was doing the D plenum and welded it in the same spot, then sent it to me to be ported. PITA with those tiny runners. Too much of a curve to hit the whole runner correctly too, leaving a pinch point rough in the center. That is why I like the 1 piece cut down to the V. Even a 2 piece is a PITA to get the whole runner with a 6" mandrel

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
i dont hink becoming a vendor will get me anything to be honest given my recent customer service history but hey what can i do. these things are hurting for a nice tubular manifold though.

mike

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
i dont hink becoming a vendor will get me anything to be honest given my recent customer service history but hey what can i do. these things are hurting for a nice tubular manifold though.

mike
Agreed, and that's something I could do a BtB test on :) Keep in mind I'm around 530WHP on a stock ported exhaust mani right now, so it would need to be a well thought out design. :thumb:

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Yeah if Shadow doesn't melt it no body else will either lol

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
what turbo are you running (and psi) if you dont mind? and im assuming you did the head work?
We've done all our own porting so far. (me and the Bro) Well ported +1mm G-head, but by no means "fully ported" and I'm still running the Holset HE351, currently at 37 psi with the FWD F4 cam.

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
That header is VERY close to what I would need to retain the stock location of the turbo.

I have a mock-up mtr all ready to go and was going to make a "test" header out of mild steel weld els.

If I made one with all fitment issues worked out, how hard would it be to copy in SS?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That header is VERY close to what I would need to retain the stock location of the turbo.

I have a mock-up mtr all ready to go and was going to make a "test" header out of mild steel weld els.

If I made one with all fitment issues worked out, how hard would it be to copy in SS?

not hard at all if u know what ur doing. what turbo are u running? ur wanting to make it out of sch 1 1/4" correct? i could make it happen if thats what ur getting at. but at the same it would be something i would want to reproduce.

mike

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
not hard at all if u know what ur doing. what turbo are u running? ur wanting to make it out of sch 1 1/4" correct? i could make it happen if thats what ur getting at. but at the same it would be something i would want to reproduce.

mike
The beauty of what I'm running is I kept it in the stock location. I planned on building a header and possibly a jig because any turbo would be able to bolt up in stock location, just depends on T3 flange (what most are running now if modded) or Chryslr flange and it wouldn't be hard to offer either/or when one is ordering.

Problem with my plans are I have little time and it would take me a lot longer than you for a finished product.

Having said that, I could mock up the prototype in very little time because I've been thinking about it for years, have all material already here and could easily mig it together because it would just be the one to build a jig from.

Also, I know these cars like the back of my hand so I would engineer everything into it so that it would have Zero fitment issues.

The one thing that Must happen to keep the stock location is to reclock the turbo so that the entry point is something like the one you posted. I could take some pics of my turbo on the mock-up engine in the shop to show you exactly what I mean.

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts

mike
What matterial did you use on the one you posted pics of? What wall thickness and ID is the 1 1/4" (I believe that's the one but I mix it up with 1 1/2" some times)

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
thanks vigo.

What matterial did you use on the one you posted pics of? What wall thickness and ID is the 1 1/4" (I believe that's the one but I mix it up with 1 1/2" some times)

That's 1.5” sch 10. I like it better then sch 40 cause that shit its just to heavy. U def want to use 1.25 piping in ur situation after looking at the port size. Inside diameter is around 1.375 and wall thickness is in the area of .100”. is the turbo a divded housing or no? If so a twin scroll manifold ftw.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.