Turbo Dodge Forums banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

· Premium Member
2,421 Posts
thanks vigo.

That's 1.5” sch 10. I like it better then sch 40 cause that shit its just to heavy. U def want to use 1.25 piping in ur situation after looking at the port size. Inside diameter is around 1.375 and wall thickness is in the area of .100”. is the turbo a divded housing or no? If so a twin scroll manifold ftw.
Agreed! And i've argued this to the ends of the earth with some ppl. I don't want more than 1.5" ID, for a matter of fact the ideal size (and I'd have to look up my notes to verify this) is around 1.38-1.40" ID. So glad we're in agreement there!

So it's the 1.5" that has an ID of around 1.62" or so? I would like a light mani, so deff not sch 40! If it's built right, thin walled SS is fine and will last for Years.

The turbo is single scroll, so just 4 into 1. My design would be such with the pairing of runners for equil length purposes that it could easily be converted to divided scroll if anyone wanted. Also, my Holset is internal gate, but no gaurantee that I don't go external eventually. Guess there's not much I can do about that right now, just make the mani for internal and if it needs be modded latter than so be it.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Agreed! And i've argued this to the ends of the earth with some ppl. I don't want more than 1.5" ID, for a matter of fact the ideal size (and I'd have to look up my notes to verify this) is around 1.38-1.40" ID. So glad we're in agreement there!

So it's the 1.5" that has an ID of around 1.62" or so? I would like a light mani, so deff not sch 40! If it's built right, thin walled SS is fine and will last for Years.

The turbo is single scroll, so just 4 into 1. My design would be such with the pairing of runners for equil length purposes that it could easily be converted to divided scroll if anyone wanted. Also, my Holset is internal gate, but no gaurantee that I don't go external eventually. Guess there's not much I can do about that right now, just make the mani for internal and if it needs be modded latter than so be it.
got velocity? not with those exhaust ports and 1.5" sch piping. yes the inside diameter of 1.5 sch 40 is around 1.62". personally and if if possible i like to design my open scroll manifolds so the exhaust pulses come out of the collector in a circular motion (in firing order) instead of criss crossing back and forth. the upside to the design ur talking about is that its still going to work very well and if a divided hot side housing is used u can just throw a divided flange on the end of the collector to make it a twin scroll. no biggie on adding a wastegate flange later.

mike

· Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Here's something I've often wondered; if you have say 4 different 1.25 sch weld els, say sch 10, 20, 30 and 40, so all different wall thickness. Does the OD change Or the ID? (ie. does the sch 10 have a slightly larger ID than the sch 20-40? Or is it the OD that's slightly diffferent?)

· Registered
576 Posts
Here's something I've often wondered; if you have say 4 different 1.25 sch weld els, say sch 10, 20, 30 and 40, so all different wall thickness. Does the OD change Or the ID? (ie. does the sch 10 have a slightly larger ID than the sch 20-40? Or is it the OD that's slightly diffferent?)
The ID changes

· Premium Member
2,421 Posts
i dont know but i can find out tonight and take some pics also.

mike
Cool, I'm guessing it will be the exact difference in the wall thickness that will add to the ID, but would be nice to know for sure.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
isn't the center section of the turbo supposed to be parallel to the ground so the oil drains out of it properly?
Garrett recommends a 25° tilt.

To minimize the effects of heat soak-back, water-cooled center housings were introduced. These use coolant from the engine to act as a heat sink after engine shutdown, preventing the oil from coking. The water lines utilize a thermal siphon effect to reduce the peak heat soak-back temperature after engine shut down. The layout of the pipes should minimize peaks and troughs with the (cool) water inlet on the low side. To help this along, it is advantageous to tilt the turbocharger about 25° about the axis of shaft rotation.
Oil & Water Plumbing | Turbobygarrett

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...iles/Garrett_White_Paper_01_Water_Cooling.pdf

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.