Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contimplating taking the heat exhaust off the hood of my Laser and replacing it with an intake for an over engine IC.

The idea would be to have the IC mount come up and out of the hood at a slight angle, with rubber sealing the area around it and a hood scoop covering that.

I realize that the hole isn't exactly large, but it should fit a decent IC, correct?

The other question, is how to mount the IC, and do I need something behind that, maybe put the air intake for the engine under the IC...dunno, just thinking. Any opinions?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Th dc over the top intercooler is setup like that. I have one on my daytona. it works fairly well but it is subject to heat soak if you do a lot of stop and go. I was trying to think of a way to make it cool better myself. I was thinking if I ran a cowl scoop open in the back above it, with some sort of vent up front to duct air under the intercooler. I don't know if it would work better or not but I think it would.

Heres a real quick scetch I did in paint that illustrates my idea. It sucks and is not to scale but it gets the idea across.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that seems like a lot of work, running the duct under and next to then over the engine. It would definatly be a unique setup.

I considered adding a sprayer above the cooler.

Looking at your sketch gives me an idea for a nose mounted cooler. I was worried a big ass IC would get in the way of the rad; however, there are two flaps in the nose that I could remove and place some air catchers that pull the air into the nose and over the IC.

·
Registered
812 Posts
yeah it would be a lot of work and that is the main reason I haven't moved forward on the idea. Plus I like the look of my current scoop right now and I would have to change that to make this work. I have also thought of doing a sprayer system, either water or co2 or n20 or something like that. Right now at the track I just put dry ice on it to sool it down nice, but that isn't a viable solution for the street. Front mounted intercoolers seem to be the way to go. One day after I have maxed out my current setup I will convert to t2 status and put a big front mount in it but for right now I want to see how fast I can take this setup.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Consider doin the IC set up like the Mitsubishi 3.0Liter Pajero has. On top IC, has substantial heat shielding under it with a plate style sheet of metal sealing it to a rubber seal, that leads to a substantial hood scoop. I drove a Pajero Turbo Diesel down to Budapest &Balaton last summer, and can tell you, when that thing is cruising, and you get into is...you hear this WHOOOSH of forced air coursing thru the IC...really makes a difference, and works. Sure, it gets warm in stoplight to stoplight, but after just 1 minute of driving, you can put your hands on it, and its cold like the thing has been airconditioned! They work...you just have to get creative with insulation, and ways to deflect heat...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
SwiftTech said:
Th dc over the top intercooler is setup like that. I have one on my daytona. it works fairly well but it is subject to heat soak if you do a lot of stop and go. I was trying to think of a way to make it cool better myself. I was thinking if I ran a cowl scoop open in the back above it, with some sort of vent up front to duct air under the intercooler. I don't know if it would work better or not but I think it would.

Heres a real quick scetch I did in paint that illustrates my idea. It sucks and is not to scale but it gets the idea across.
holy stick drawing batman! nice picture.

I thought by design the cowl hood forces air in the back of the scoop due to pressure at teh bas of teh windsheild?

·
Registered
812 Posts
It creates a low pressure spot. I was thinking that with the higer pressure from below it might help push air through the intercooler. Mabey I was thinking backwards though. The grill opening on the first gens pulled air out though so I think something like that would work. I have the original hood from my daytona though so I might be making this setup sometime. Just nee to practice my sheetmetal fabrication to make it look nice when done.

·
Registered
243 Posts
SwiftTech said:
does anybody want to lend me a wind tunnel to test?:thumb:
Sure, pull my finger :D

How about some sort of remote barometer, mounted under the hood where it's not too hot, and some high-speed runs with different scoop configurations to see which system produces the lowest underhood pressure?

Or is that just crezzy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts