Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to get a bad antifreeze smell when I use my heater in the car. I never smell it when I do not have the heat on. I do not seem to be loosing any antifreeze anywhere under the hood. Anyone have any idea what could cause this smell?

·
Registered
255 Posts
your heater core has sprung a leak. it happened to my 89 spirit and my 90 horizon. It is a fairly common problem. Either replace the heater core, bypass the heater core (no heat) by not running the hoses to the two spouts coming from the firewall (driverside under the hood), or get a can of the radiator stop leak and run that in the system. A word of caution though, I used the stop leak stuff in my car and it clogged the heater core (no heat) and later it still leaked and was still clogged.

Jake

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
if you want heat just replace the core, they are 20 or 30 bucks.. i wouldnt mess with the stop leak stuff, it wont work long if at all and it will gunk up the entire system. the core is usually a pain in the ass to ge too but its better than filling your coolaing system up with glue

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Well considering its middle of may, my first suggestion would be to not use the heater! :thumb: When winter comes around, compromise by installing a brand new catalytic converting and dumping excess fuel into your car, the cat will warm up the car. :cool:

But yes, its a huge pain to replace.. Mine broke to the point the whole front carpet was soaked in antifreeze.. havent replaced it yet because i know its goin to be a knucklebuster.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I didn't have to remove the dash to replace the heater core on my Shelby Lancer. I did have to remove the center console, glove box assembly, and pull the carpet up out of the way so I could access the heater/AC box and lower it out from under the dash. It was a major PITA, but now that I've done it once I don't think it would be that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts