Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a turbo setup on my carb car! Yes it can be done and it is quite a bit of work. Now for the fun part. Predictions on how long the 9.5:1 carb motor will last with right now about 10psi (until I have a muffler I can't hear if its pinging heh) Right now I'm at 1100 miles, the longblock has 105 rounds on it with a new headgasget, old one hadn't failed yet but why not. No intercooler yet either. Any guesses on how long it'll go? Lookin good so far. If you win I'll buy you a pepsi. p.s. How much boost do you think I can get away with at 9.5:1? :)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you'd think......well maybe tomorrow on the way to work it'll go poof, the other thing is i've had this engine for its last 30,000 miles, and it has seen over 7,000 rpm (accident of course) and still in one piece, gotta watch those burnouts when i had the carb it'd rev to its own demise if you'd let it

·
Banned
4,734 Posts
LOL.

Why not just run 5 PSI to be safe?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not carb'd anymore, it has turbo1 fuel injection, i'm no idiot, i completely converted the car to fuel injection, runs like a top. everything is the way it should be, except i accidently went a hair to big on the injectors, but not enought to seem to do anything, plugs are read fine, headin to the drag strip soon http://www.axode.net/ how i did the conversion is on there

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made it to the track friday, with the carb motor and 13psi i ran a best 1/8th of 9.85 @ 72mph. Gained 1.43seconds on my 1/8th. Winter is going to bring t2 conversion on the carb motor which is still runnin strong and not making any noise heh. fun fun

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know someone who did just this... twisted a rod in 3 places at 15 PSI.

Good luck =p

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, anyhow i might as well update this. It lasted over 5000 miles @ 13psi. I pulled it into the garadge this weekend (still running like a clock) to begin the t2 conversion. The tbi motor is getting turbo pistons and t2 rods though now, so my high c/r will be over with.......so who ever knows how long it will go :)

It has about 30 passes down the drag strips in this form, my best times with the c/r pump gas and 8* base timing @ 13psi are in my signature. Not fast enough, so its getting more :)

I knew it was detonating a little by my plugs, but I let it go, when the head came off, my pistons were missing chuncks of carbon, but no damage was done to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.