Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this car since around 1997,and was wondering if anyone has seen any additional pictures or info relating to the car.I have alot of documentation for the car,but looking for any additional tidbits,whittier photos,whittier purpose,or literature from the early days.

I have heard about some theories about its purpose,but no one knows for sure?

Proto 1, 2 , and 3 were originally red from dodge,but shelby repainted all three black.The prototype ground effects are clay,and molded right to the car.The grille is a regular shadow part modified to look like a csx.The radiator intercooler mount is custom made by shelby,since the production ones were not available yet.The list goes on and on....
Pictures are attached.

Anyone have more info?

Joe Anderson
87 CSX,dash plaque says "Proto 1"
[email protected]

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Please tell me you dont drive it??
O he drives it alright lol. Looked pretty bad last I seen it, looks like you painted it Joe?

When I looked at it the car gave me the impression it wasn't real. You can tell it has been repainted a different color and the car looks put together in a garage. I am surprised that car has survived this long. I am surprised it just ended up on the road getting some miles put on it after it was made.

You really should be going to the Vegas get to gethers and showing it off. The birthday car made it down a few times, this one should make an appearance.

Hope you find some info on it, cool car. I'll post a link to this at Teamshelby and maybe some one there has some info.

· Registered
289 Posts
Damn, I almost like the interior of the CSX more than my Lancer. I wouldn't mind having one of each eventually but.. yeah.. don't drive that thing. Let it sit and get valuable.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
I know that in the state of Kansas, you can get a car that does not have a vin inspected and they will assign a vin to it. Not sure if that is the way it is in other states, but I know I had a friend that got a homemade sand rail tagged and insured to be driven on the road. Not hard, just costs a little more then what it costs to get an out of state vehicle inspected.

But I agree, I would love to see an engine shot.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to add another picture of the engine area,but it says at the bottom the turbododge website "you may not post attachments".How do add more pictures to my original post? The car does carry a shelby as "MFR" csx2dr " as model". Since proto 1-3 were sold by shelby auto before the mid year 1990 violent chrysler takeover,they had thier vin's intact. When the later x1 thru x7(performance modfied production cars) units were sold in 1994(shelby garage sale),chrysler had demanded the vins removed.Some were even crushed by chrysler corp between 1991-1994,some parts were also thrown away in the dumpster for liabitity reasons.
Proto 1 and Proto 2 being sold in mid 1988 by shelby,escaped the vin removal process.Proto 3 is no where to be found,as the vin has never been activated by a new owner(presumed crushed).

Does anyone have more Whittier,Ca. pictures of the shelby plant?

· Registered
112 Posts
That is a really neat piece of history. I had visited the Shelby factory in Santa Fe Springs back in 1985 and took a few pics. Shelby's favorite ride at the time was a red 2.0 Omni with dual carbs N/A 180 HP. They had a 2.2 on the Dyno running 24/7 that was pushing 340 HP. One of the cars I remember was a white Daytona with blue cobra stripes. I do have a few pictures in an album.

· Registered
5,790 Posts
If you actually Auto-X that car with those clay ground effects you are a BRAVE sole! Not me! I'd definatly restor the car. I'd drive it, but only every now and then(as I beleive ALL cars should be driven!).

Now...engine bay shots od Proto-1 and pics of this white Daytona with the Cobra stripes!!

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
you guys intrested in the factory photos need to get on Teamshelby forum and look around. Many origanal photos being posted from the vault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.