Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently trying to build up my 95 caravan it has a 3.3l for the motor and i was wondering if anybody has seen/heard of a 3.3 turbo i had my van dynoed it has 190bhp before i modified it i got a 1/4 mile time of [email protected] so in the search of speed i was looking to turbo it. i know there was a race version of this motor which had 255bph im going to bore out the motor but before i do that i want to find a kit for the 3.3 of somebody that has tryed to turbo one..........and i know that you are asking why when a caravan it is the ultamate sleeper and when im finshed it will surprise many on the road.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I would look in to dropping in a 3.5 crank as they are a LOT stronger than the 3.3 unit. Do that along with good pistons and rods...let it rock! <with supporting fuel and ignition mods of course Next thin I would suggest is looking at getting the tranny rebuilt by somebody that knows what they are doing and if you plan on really putting the power to it, possibly a different TCM for it(there are aftermarket ones out there that can control the A604...I personally just found out they were available finally!).

I will admit I am impressed with your numbers, care to share your set-up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reaper1: I had built the motor with a motor builder i didnt know what parts i was putting on they looked stock... I asked what he did to the motor. The block has a stock bottom end but with an aggressive cam he ported the heads and beefd up the valves he also made an underdrive pully system but it isnt dodge he put the injectors out of a 2.2 turbo and the intake off of a 3.8 and a 58mm tb he said he reprogramed the comp but i dont think he did that and he wont go in to detail on what the parts are because he says it is a secret...???? But i gutted the interoir all but the front seats and the dash i removed the airbag set (i took off the cover on the passanger side so i dont have any problems with cops and the same with the drivers side ( i havent weight the van yet but i have no accuess to a scale) the suspention is the stock ambulance(cant spell)in the front and an ex leafspring in the back also i fabed up solad mounts for the motor and it transfers more power to the wheel i also posied the tranny with heavy duty gears (respects to mr tranismision) no ac or power steering on the motor that is most of what i rember. But there is more

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah go to turbominivan.com or paul smith's van page and there is one guy that has 3.3 turbo, hood scoop, gray in color. Said that the 3.3 pistons are prone to giving out under high boost and was running 4lbs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i think that that van is a phony i found the site and he showed a pair of headers and had no connection for a torbo.....also he said the turbo was far from the motor but in pics under the hood the turbo is right in frount of the motor....but also about 3 months ago he was selling the van on kijiji and the pics under the hood showed a painted motor no turbo only headers....so i cant beleave if it is true or not.also he has said it had 7lb of boost. but he posted no # nothing so i dont think the turbo 3.3 is true in this instsnce (sry cant spell)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Might have been an SDS type of system with a rear mounted turbo, though I don't know why in the world you would do that with all that room under the hood of the van!!

Seeing the number your van has put down I'd say that it definatly has a good combo, however if I had an engine builder that refused to tell me what parts went in tot he engine becuase they were a "secret"...I'd NEVER trust that person again and tell him to shove his secrecy where the sun doesn't shine! It's MY engine!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Might have been an SDS type of system with a rear mounted turbo, though I don't know why in the world you would do that with all that room under the hood of the van!!" cant there is no room under the body even if u remove the cat. the rack and the crossmember take up to much space (i am a caravan nut i know a caravan throught and throught)my van that i have now i ve been built it fron a shell to a fully running van
2:" Seeing the number your van has put down I'd say that it definatly has a good combo, however if I had an engine builder that refused to tell me what parts went in tot he engine becuase they were a "secret"...I'd NEVER trust that person again and tell him to shove his secrecy where the sun doesn't shine! It's MY engine!!!"
i didnt pay for the parts or any of the work that he did! sooo. oh btw do u know of ant 3.3 or 3.0 rwd trannies ive been looking throught the posts but none give a defanite answer?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
If you can mount a T77 under a Lexus LS400, then I'm quite certain it is possible to mount a turbo to feed a 3.3 under a minivan! LOL And yes, I've personally seen an LS400 with T77 mounted under it! I used to own an '89 Voyager, there's more than enough room where the spare went!

Possession is 90% of the law...if you OWN the van the engine is in, then you have every right to know what is in the engine!

The 3.0 has the only TRUE RWD tranny that *I* know of found in Monteros IIRC. The 3.3 was a FWD only engine(save for the Shelby Can-Am). You *could* go the Prowler route and use an A606/42LE with a torque tube. It's similar to what the new 'Vettes do...

·
Registered
42 Posts
once did some research on putting boost to a 3.3l or 3.8l after looking a round a i found a few people who had done it but seems 4-5psi is about the max with the stock pistons my original and still some day plan was to use a 3.8l gm supercharger that i got cheap from a friend who's a gtp nut my theory was that if i dropped the compression a bit i could run thee supercharger a constant 3-6pound and mostly try to make the torque curve flat as a pan cake at one time i found a dude who had used one of these superchargers on a 3.0l and he had several pic's posted and a good amount of info i believe the motor was going in a neon the cool thing about these supercharger is they have a diagram operated bypass that bleeds boost pressure and air back behind the throttle body

·
Registered
42 Posts
oh and and a 3.0l rwd trans can be found in a 2wd dodge d-50/ram 50/Mitsubishi mighty max in 5sp manual or maybe a auto i have only seen one 2wd with a 3.0l and it was a 5sp

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I remember that Neon! He started out with a supercharger off of a Ford SuperCoupe IIRC, then upgraded it to the GM M90 unit. The thing was bolted directly to the TOP of the intake manifold and the thign stuck out of the hood so far that the car had a cowl hood that was a good 10" tall!! I think I remember they owned a junk yard, possibly Sebring's old one.

I think you'll find the torque curve on all of the V6's that MOPAR used in that era were decently flat. What they lacked was top end. Not to say you can't get that out of a supercharger (and you WILL feel it on the top end), but most of your gain is going to be on the lower end of the rpm range. Headwork and a different cam profile are needed to really make it work well.

That's kinda why turbo's are a little better choice, because you can still ahve all that low end, but if you size it right, their main influence will be the top end, where you want it!(I should say where most people want it, you might want a torque monster for all I know! LOL )

BTW, I don't know of anybody here that has any info on how strong those RWD trannies really are. You may want to check with those groups to really find out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey thanks guys for all of u r help ive got a lot of info for this job.....u can have 7lb of boost on the block b 4 it blows but its not worth it....yes more power but not cost effective.......the a604 tranny can only hold 250ish hp b4 giving up im contuing on this project, i found out what my motor builder did to my motor.........(i tore it down at anothre shop,,,,,he used a 3.8 block lightly bored out the heads the valves and springs are beefed up and 1 size over the cam is stock the pistons are mully or something(cant rember the nameright now)and a costome intake. he botched the build of this motor......long stort if u ever hear from a mopar motor builder named FRANK MANCINI he is a piece of shit. i havent decided what im going to do just yet with the van but im thinking......hey if anybody that has a megasquirt 2.0 or 3.0 that they dont need give me a shout i want to try tuneing my van well it is stock and what i can do to it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just saw this thread and am glad to hear you tore the motor down. I read your previous post about mods to the motor, and nothing in that post made sense, lol. Nobody makes aftermarket cams for these things, so that was the first red flag. Also, you can't beef up valves or cylinder heads. You can port cylinder heads and back-cut valves, or replace with larger valves. Valve springs can be changed out for stiffer units, but again, the phrase "beefed up" doesn't make any sense.

A megasquirt won't easily work on your van because you need to keep the stock ecu in place. The stock ecu communicates with your transmisssion computer, which controls your trans and shifting. Only way to go with an aftermarket efi controller would be to buy an aftermarket transmission controller, which are big bucks. Also, NOBODY is reprogramming the stock computers for these engines.

Out of curiousity, did YOU run that 14 second 1/4 mile time or was that the other guy's claim?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hi i appoligse about my terming im an interoir and suspention guy im just learning about motors and transmissions and it did have stiffer springs once again i apoligise about my wording......i did not do the 14sec qm but i did see the slip for it. the motor builder, i found out that he lied to me so i dont beleave it now im changing it from my pro.....like i said i built the motor under his supervision and thought he was for real but as i know now hes a flake......with this new info that ive accuired with all the resurch that ive been doing since i had the motor tore down i have to repramand the mistake of what i did (put false things in this blog/thres)im going to build a replaca og the shelby 3.3 i will build this motor my self and have pics for all to see....i have a line for 2 motors a blowen one and a good one but a 20yo motor might not be worth rebuilding for the cost of buying one and i dont think i can buy any shelby replacement parts for it so ive collected as much info as i can on the motor(parts wise) and i will try to make a clone with the same bph(255).....but tuning the motor like the orignal will be hard (3 sparks per insted of one) any help with that problem?
and thanks about the info on the megasquirt...another dead end with this motor
sorry for all of the bumps and problems this thred has caused cuz i trusted a motor builder

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope this doesn't sway you from your quest.

I DO want to clarify some things though.

The A604 can hold much more power than people give it credit for. There are currently SRT-4 guys running LOW 10's with them. Now admitedly they ARE built, but there is not much to building one, it's just building it RIGHT! The weak link of the tranny is the OD, THAT you don't want to try to put power through. A propperly built A604 with stock parts should be capable of holding more than 250hp. The transmission in the Prowler is an A606, basically an A604 turned 90* with a different final drive set-up. Those guys have bolt on supercharger kits that work very well(seen one in person), NO tranny mods, and they live! All of the LH platform cars with the HO3.5 is another example.

Also, the TCM does NOT need to talk to the SBEC. On some 3.3 and all 3.8's they DO, but this is a request from the TCM to the SBEC to reduce torque output during a shift. This was employed by the factory to help with the wear life of the tranny, but NOT needed. The TCM can stand alone as long as it has the required signals, which are TPS, MAP, and RPM, IIRC. A stand alone tranny controller would be nice and the ultimate solution to the problem, but is not needed. If in question of whether this works, I have a '91 Daytona that is using a Haltec EK6 to run the 3.0 and the TCM runs the tranny all by its lonesome...there is NO SBEC in the car at all...

I still think that you should look in to using the 3.5L forged crank, custom rods and pistons, then boost the living mess out of it with some decent heads! I bet that would get some attention! LOL :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread, but information about 3.8/3.3 motors and their "boostableness" is hard to come by!

I was really curious to know whether anything had come of the thoughts in this thread to put together a V6 for boost. I currently have a 2001 Voyager with an SRT internalled 2.4 ready to swap in with a Holset HY35, but I'm already thinking about the next step (3.8 torque for cruising around, with a less aggressive turbo setup on it...).

I'll be using MS3 to run the engine it seems, and if I switched to a 3.8 setup at some point, I am confident that I can get the main code writer for MS3 to right the code to read the crank wheel on it. I'm currently running the PCS controller for the trans that's in the van (41te with a really nice converter and RacerStev valve body mods), but I might end up running a MegaSquirt derivative trans controller. With the PCS there is only the potential to do what they let me. With the MS stuff there is much more possibility of hoing hog wild on features as needed.

So back to the main question, what are the main weaknesses of the 3.8? I ran 2.0 rods in a Neon motor with 145k miles on it up to about 380hp before a boost spike made one cry uncle, so I'm guessing the 3,8 rods wouldn't be too much worse? Same with the pistons, cast pistons either way, need to avoid detonation...

So is the crank the really weak link? If so, is it known that the 3.5 crank will fit in the block? Any idea what combo of rod length and pin height would work with that crank/block combo? Any idea if the crank wheel from the 3.8/flexplate or whatever it is with the crank position sensor windows in it will actually work with the 3.5 crank? I guess you can tell I haven't been inside any of these V6 motors, but I'm hoping I can figure it out when or if the time comes!

Thanks in advance for any insights!!!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I don't know about the newer 3.8's. I know the older ones were based off the 3.3. The 3.5 is based off the 3.3. The crank for the 3.5 will fit in the 3.3. I don't know the differences in the rods or pistons. I knwo that the Shelby Can-Am cars used the crank for the 3.5 in them because they are stronger. (note: at the time the 3.5 was still under development and was NOT in production at all. This information came from a guy that owns 2 Shelby Can-Am cars).

Personally, I'd look into using the 3.5 crank, and then going with better rods and forged pistons. The problem is now you've got around $3000 just in the bottom end of the engine! Makes ya start wondering if it's really worth it?

BTW, how do you like the PCS controller? Got a link to it for others to view?

·
Registered
1 Posts
a few things u can get a custom made crank from scatt. u can get a stroked 3.8 that is bored and stroked to 4.1 and it will hold boost. u can also get headers. magnusanalso has a supercharger. now to find these parts i had to look under 07 jeep wrangler jk it has a 3.8

·
Registered
263 Posts
a few things u can get a custom made crank from scatt. u can get a stroked 3.8 that is bored and stroked to 4.1 and it will hold boost. u can also get headers. magnusanalso has a supercharger. now to find these parts i had to look under 07 jeep wrangler jk it has a 3.8
Might look at my thread for 3.3/3.8L upgrades. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f196/1054178-huge-list-performance-3-3-3-a.html

I'm looking into the possibility of 3.5/4.0 Rods and pistons to swap into the 3.8L. Forged and what not. Need to do more research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok let me first of all say i dont have a dodge but i do have a toyota with a 3.3 dohc v6 and im interested in turbocharging it and i want a recomendation for a turbo...toyota forums already failed me and i cant find any info searching

1 - 20 of 22 Posts