Discussion Starter #1
Phone disconnected. No e-mail reply
If you know whereabouts please pm me
I have parts that have been paid for and
I need them to complete project

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also been unable to contact him for quite a while. I'm in a similar situation as he is in the middle of an engine build for me with a substantial bit of upfront money. He's always seemed above board and I'm as concerned about him as I am my investment with him. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon,

I know this post is coming a bit late but I am sorry to report if you have not heard already, Mike Russo from MRX passed away last year. As you may or may not know Mike was a Marine that spent time in Iraq and returned home to raise his family and start his business. For a time he did well. He began having problems with the City of Hazel Park and ended up at odds with them over a multitude of issues from trying to secure his building with a fence, to signage issues, to a dispute over an annual city business license fee, just to name a few. I spent a lot of time in his shop during these times. I began to see that his behavior began to change as he started trying to fight city hall. He spent days on end at his desk without going home to write legal documents, motions and such. He got so focused on standing up to the city that his time building engines and vehicles suffered. His marriage and home life suffered as he wasn’t even going home anymore. After some time, his situation with the city only worsened and I suggested that he move the shop to a different city. He refused. His silent partner suggested the same. He still refused. By this point it was evident that he had been falling prey to some sort of undiagnosed P.T.S.D. His stories of Iraq included horrors that I could never have imagined. The cars kept him happy, but as he fell into the legal funk it got harder for him. He had a nervous twitch and it was evident that he needed help, but he refused to admit it. Eventually he ended up out of the building and working out of his home garage and driveway. His mental condition worsened and by the time he was prepared to accept helphe was unable to get it as he was at odds with the City of Madison Heights. The last time we spoke on the phone he was living elsewhere and separated from his wife. He had become estranged from friends and family. At some point he returned to his home but his back injury kept him from his work. He seemed to be getting better and had a new girlfriend, but he ended up taking his own life. If you know any veteran’s like Mike that are in need of help please urge them to go and get it, even if their condition doesn’t seem all that bad. Sadly, he left behind two little girls. I apologize as I have just seen this post and I know your posts were made some time ago.
Mike taught me so much about cars amongst other things. Something people don’t know about is that he ran a lot of general automotive repairs out of his shop and he really helped a lot of people out. He had a good heart and I miss him greatly. Please value your friends while they are here. Every time you get together to wrench on a vehicle, enjoy it. Every time I work on a car, I think of him. Every repair and upgrade I do is in his honor.

Take Care of Each Other.

V

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so sorry to hear of his passing, I hadn’t spoken to him in years. Although I never met Mike, I did speak with him often about the motor rebuild.
He did finish the build and we talked about the car when I installed it. I’ll always remember him as a friend.
Thanks for letting me know.
I’ll never look at the car the same way again .
The demons of war took another good man.
Pete

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
Rest in peace, man.

I only had the pleasure of chatting back and forth with Mike through Ebay a few times, but through those messages, I understood how fanatical he was about this platform. Much like I am now. Seeing deeper now, apparently we had a lot more in common than I ever thought. I feel bad myself. I had posted a memorial on the St. Louis Turbo Mopar Club page on Facebook when his little brother (I think) posted his parts for sale. I should have posted one here.

V, all you can do is try your best to be there for someone. In the end; they will do whatever they set their hearts on. My uncle, also named Mike, also a Marine, committed suicide last year. He had been struggling with cancer for a while.

Thanks for posting man.

-Mark Lucas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts