Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83 Dodge Rampage "The Wench".

So my rack is caked in grease and the hoses are barely in tact. Furthermore, my outer tie rod ends no longer have any boot material remaining. Basically it all needs replaced. Now when I looked at replacing the unit or rebuilding it as a whole, I noticed I could purchase a manual steering rack.

Does anyone have one?
How is the steering at a stop or in parking lots?
Anyone know if they are fully swappable? Do they mount the same way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My '84 Rampage has manual steering, and in such a light car it works great. Of course you'll need to use more muscle to get it in an out of parking spots or do any maneuvering at low speeds, but you'll get used to the extra effort quickly and once you're on the road I would say the extra effort isn't really noticeable.

The power and manual racks mount the same way to the cross member, however the connector which goes between the rack and the steering column have a different number of splines. So to swap to a manual rack you'd need to find one of those, and they're getting scarce.

·
Super Moderator
11,695 Posts
before swapping to a manual rack you have to consider what tires you have on the car

the little 13 inch vectors from the 80's , it wasn't an issue to have manual steering but when swapping up to a 15 inch wheel with a sticky 205 50 15 .. yeah the manual steering starts to suck

it's ok at road speed but consider your usual slow driving situations .. THEN decide

I had a turismo back in the late 80's /early 90's that had a full shelby charger engine and chassis swap
- so I had the manual steering to start with
the quick ratio Shelby power rack was a big improvement

·
Registered
997 Posts
I added a manual rack to my race car to ease the installation of a larger Holset turbocharger. I don't mind the the extra effort, and I run slicks.

As mentioned above, the rack is easy to purchase but the coupler is another story.
It is very rare, Flaming River lists an Omni rack in their catalog with a coupler
but it is unknown what the opposite end of the rack side would adapt too.

Omni Rear Steer Manual Rack & Pinion - 45" Omni Manual Rear Steer Rack & Pinion - 45" Omni Manual Rear Steer Rack & Pinion with 26.88" Pivot Points

I looked into is years ago and decided to find an original manual rack, actually
came across a second one with the coupler so I bought it too.

I know a few people who have sent their power racks to this company and had them converted to manual versions.
http://steerandgear.com/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As mentioned above, the rack is easy to purchase but the coupler is another story.
It is very rare, Flaming River lists an Omni rack in their catalog with a coupler
but it is unknown what the opposite end of the rack side would adapt too
I don't suppose you have a picture of the coupler? Is it something I could easily machine on my lathe? I just want the simplicity of manual steering. I think it would be great to have one less thing to worry about.

Currently I have 14" rims on the car with 195s. But even if I switch to 15", I plan on running 185s. I don't really have much need or desire for anything wider.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't suppose you have a picture of the coupler?
I have a coupler I can take a couple pictures of this evening.

Is it something I could easily machine on my lathe?
It's definitely not something you could easily machine. The coupler is a short shaft with a universal joint at each end and if I remember correctly the only differences between the power and manual adapters is the number of splines on the rack side of the coupler. Take a look at this thread: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/102261-manual-steering-coupler-source.html there's an off the shelf universal joint with the correct number of splines which can be used to adapt the power steering coupler for use with a manual rack on a Daytona, I've never tried it myself and I don't know if it will work for the L bodies, but it may be easier than finding an original coupler.

Currently I have 14" rims on the car with 195s. But even if I switch to 15", I plan on running 185s. I don't really have much need or desire for anything wider.
On my Rampage I run 15's with 205s and never felt there was too much resistance turning the wheel. You should be fine with your setup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
859 Posts
Unless you are planning to run massive tires in parking lot cone days.
Just get a new power rack. fill it up with some oil of your choice
and connect/loop the lines together..

a 20$ 1 foot line with 2 hydraulic fittings will be 100% easier than finding or converting to manual rack rag joints and spline counts.

when i was miatas we would get a 1 foot hose and 2 fittings and just loop the line with some ATF fluid in the system and call it a day. ZERO issues ever.
the only people who complained were running 17x8 wheels and 225/40/17 tires in parking lots.

I know this post was about if and how and who can do it. BUT
are we really just over thinking all of this?..
and pointing someone down a very laborious path with no real benefit over the simpliest fix?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
When I converted to manual the right side mounting U bracket and bushing were different.

Someone has a vid on gutting a power rack to make it manual with reduced effort.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts