Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought an 89 shelby and the front pass side makes a quiet growling sound and its getting louder, i had it on a lift at work and theres alot of slop in the bearing for the halfshaft, can anyone tell me where to get everything to do the driveline? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hopefully someone else will chime in but from what I know the bearing in the half shaft is pretty hard to find now days...I would just go get an unequal length axle setup. What do you mean by everything? bushings and suspesion stuff?

Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc. has anything you should need.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what all parts are involved in going to the unequal length setup? Which axles do i order for this conversion?? thanks alot guys

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
order an axle for an auto tranny of the same car- I got mine from partsamerica for $90 brand new.

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
I probably wouldn't mention Shelby. That will just confuse the counter person. Then he will probably be looking for Mustang parts. Just order a Auto Passenger side axle for 89 Daytona. Remove your passenger side axle and then unbolt the carrier bearing from the block and remove the half shaft and then install the longer replacement axle into the tranny where the half shaft was removed. You can also replace the dirve side if needed, but that one will be a shorter axle.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
+1^, but depending on which bearing you are wanting to replace, they u-joint bearing can be replaced, but for the outer one, I have no idea if it can be replaced.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok sorry guys im having trouble finding parts for this car i guess?

i might as well do both axles at once, so im going to order both. when im ordering them i will be ordering them for a 89 daytona 2.2 turbo auto right? mines a 5 spd.

the big bearing on the pass side is sloppy.........any chance i can replace this? i cant really remember what it looks like i havent looked in a few days.thanks for the help im just making sure i have all this information clear so i dont order the wrong stuff again, they have given me a few wrong parts.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well if you think about it you have a spare driver's side once you take the pass side appart.

·
Registered
971 Posts
ok sorry guys im having trouble finding parts for this car i guess?

i might as well do both axles at once, so im going to order both. when im ordering them i will be ordering them for a 89 daytona 2.2 turbo auto right? mines a 5 spd.

the big bearing on the pass side is sloppy.........any chance i can replace this? i cant really remember what it looks like i havent looked in a few days.thanks for the help im just making sure i have all this information clear so i dont order the wrong stuff again, they have given me a few wrong parts.
My $.02 here....when you pick up your half shafts, be sure that the passenger side (right side) is the large diameter hollow shaft, not the small diameter solid shaft that is used on the non turbo drivetrain....if the sales rep on the other side of the counter is not familiar with the different shafts used, he may give you the wrong shaft for what you need. The large dia. shaft is used with the Turbo/auto trans & the 6 cyl/auto trans. (higher torque application) :thumb:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I went with new unequal axles from the drive shaft shop for my 89 Daytona Shelby. I have the old ones (equal length same thing you have) and I am not using them. I am more than willing to sell them to you if you like. They are used but the boots are not torn and the joints are in good very good shape. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts