Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to run an MSD (or similar) ignition box on my 89 omni. It's a 2.2L N/A TBI car with some minor mods done to it. I'm trying to clear up the rough idle and high rpm spark loss. Any info on what boxes people are running, and any diagrams of wiri g would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance 馃憣馃徎

Administrator
I seriously doubt your "spark loss" is due to a non capable stock ignition system.
The stock ignition coil is capable of 40 KV and cylinder pressures/rpm will never get high enough on a TBI or stock turbo car to ever see KV requirements climb above that.
Electrical requirements will only ever go as high as is needed for the current to jump the gap at the plug.(Ground)
Normal KV requirements are 10-15 KV at idle and maybe...25-30 KV on hard acceleration.
(With all ignition components working properly)
Electricity is extremely lazy and always looks for the easiest path to ground.
If the KV requirements increase and the current finds and easier path to ground (cracked/carbon tracked distributor cap, arcing to ground ignition wire, etc.) rather than its normal route it is going to take that path and then you will have an ignition misfire.

I raced my car for years and hit the traps at 6100 RPM's in 3rd gear @ 12 lbs. of boost and Never experienced an ignition misfire.
Under those conditions the KV requirements are much higher than you will ever see on a TBI car.
(You would need to put the car on a dyno connected to an oscilloscope to see exactly what the KV requirements are)

My suggestion would be to diagnose the system to determine if there is an actual ignition issue(primary or secondary) or if something else is causing your issue. (Being Rich or Lean)
Use an adjustable spark tester to check system capability.
IGNITION - Adjustable Spark Tester.jpg

If it turns out after diagnosing the system that you have a faulty coil not capable of keeping up with system requirements this is the best aftermarket coil available for our cars, it is a direct Mopar replacement with the proper primary resistance.(you need to add a .7 ohm ballast resistor to use an MSD Blaster Coil)
I have run this coil on my car for 20+ years without issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for not answering my question(s) 馃檭 but thanks for the suggestion(s).

Administrator
I do not have an answer to your original question.
Good Luck.

Registered
Hello Zombni.
I do run an MSD 6AL and MSD coil on my 1990 TBI omni. HOWEVER, I do agree with NAJ in that it will most likely not cure your ailments. NAJ is extremely knowledgeable and anything he doesn't know off his head he has access to.
I have had my MSD on my vehicle since I purchased it 125,000 miles ago. Only installed the system in hopes of optimizing gas mileage. Not sure if it did or not. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
I get rough idle issues in the cold weather even with the ignition box. I believe I may have an issue with the harness going to the TBI unit and other sensors. I have already been through the MAP and added the bleed kit etc. I really need to diagnose it correctly but have never made it a priority. As a matter of fact I need to run it without the box and tilted MSD coil (supposedly a no-no) to make sure that is not the cause of the cold weather rough idle. The long reach plugs I installed did seem to help quite a bit.
I have attached images of how my box and coil are set up.

Attachments

Registered
Check the IAC valve. If it is gummed up, it will give a bad idle. Usually wont let idle kick down.
O2 sensor might be going bad or is bad.
A wire somewhere is grounding out and is giving the computer a hard time reading information for it to open and close injectors.
The TBS might be gummed up. The computer is getting bad intel about the throttle position.

I would remove the IAC and Throttle Position Sensor and clean them. The IAC can be damaged if you do it wrong. Probably some carb cleaner on some Q tips rather than spraying should work to prevent damage.
Watch videos on how to clean one so no damage occurs.

Registered
Short addition may save U some grief. Accel 8140M is oil filled and should be mounted vertically. Was very difficult on my Daytona & wish I'd bought an epoxy coil. I think the Accel 8140 is epoxy filled and can be mounted in any position. Accel's tech support can answer for sure at: 1-888-258-3835

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Christopher, thank you! That's all I really wanted to know, is if it's been done, and how 馃槉 Everyone else, thank you for the help! My spark issues are very minor, and were not really the point of this post. Sorry for the confusion. I'm probably going to run a newer digital box with launch control and such. Trying to squeeze as much power out of this TBI, while having a bit more control of its spark system for drivability or performance. While I have a decent post going... Im also looking for the best camshaft for a TBI with a ported head (intake and exhaust sides, gasket matched), ported intake (at the TBI unit and head mounted side gasket matched), and ported factory exhaust manifold to a straight 2.25" exhaust? I plan on also having the head shaved in the winter also. I've read that comp cams used to have one with 260 duration and .460 lift that had a good power band of like 1200-5000rpm, but idk how they would work in a TBI, nor if they are available anywhere? I'm sorry if I came off as offensive to anyone. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts