Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few E85 stations in my area. Even thought it is recommended for FFV only I have heard people are using it in non-FFV cars most are mixing it with regular gasoline so its not 100% E85.

I guess my biggest worry be that it would run to lean and burn a piston, etc.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would think that you would definitally go lean, in order to run ethanol/methanol, and engine needs about double the fuel as it would running on gasoline. Plus you'll have fuel system corrosion issues, thats why the FFV vehicles all have stainless lines, rails and special seals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I read, FFV run on gasoline, E85, or any combination of the two. How does it compensate for having to inject more fuel for when the percentage of alcohol is higher?

Is it feasable to build a E85 compatible Megasquirt system I wonder? Like could you just change a fuel map for when you ran E85 then a different one if you had to fill up with reg. gasoline?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
There is whats called a flex fuel sensor that measures methonal content. When it sees e85 it switches to the alcohol tables. The reason its not 100% ethonal is it would then be drinkable, so they denature it with 15% gasoline.

If you just changed all ur maps for e85 you'd be able to run it, and timing curves too. It shouldn't be that hard for any of the guys who mod the PCM's around here.

You could have two files for a megasquirt system, you would be able to run alot more boost and need to run a ton more fuel and probably alot more timing on e85, so your gasoline tune would seem crappy in comparasion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts