1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have one, its basically a copy of the FSM for the auto trans. Very helpfull. These trans are easy to work on, just read the pages on the internet to get the good parts while your in there. I got a basic rebuild kit for $80 w/ clutches/steels/seals/filter/gaskets and bushings. Add a couple things and your good to go

Another thing I found helpfull is a parts catalog from a trans shop. This shows a full exploded veiw of all the parts and where they go, which the ATSG and FSM do not, they just show sections.

Common things for upgrades are diff pin savers, sonax rear band strut($7), adding extra clutches to 3rd gear pack, set the clutches tight! and ditch the wave snap ring for a solid one, blocking the accumulator, ect... Then whatever way you want to go w/ the vb

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. :cool:
That sounds good to me. For the cost I figure I can do a little trial and error and learn a little. I want to upgrade it a little,but for what I want to do with the van it should work out well.
Thanks...I 'm gonna buy one of those books. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joe DiZZ has a good deal of info on some good ideas I found the part # for the pin keepers reading about his shift mods. I bought mine from the dodge dealer for $10.00
After air testing my A670 and having to take it back a part I was thinking about the ATP transmission rebuild kits I used to use 20 years ago they had interlocking cast iron rings not he wimpy split rings the current kit I just used had. I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have used the ATSG manuals for a complete re-build of the infamous A604 ultradrive autobox. They saved me over $1200........... You may want to checkout Sonnax as they do upgrade parts for notorious weak spots in gearbox's.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have used the ATSG manuals for a complete re-build of the infamous A604 ultradrive autobox. They saved me over $1200........... You may want to checkout Sonnax as they do upgrade parts for notorious weak spots in gearbox's.
Sonnax only makes 1 part for the trans, rear band strut, for $7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts