Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question, but if one looks at the garret inducer blades on the compressor wheel in pictures on turbominivan.com or the dodge garage, the blades point out straight. like spokes on a wheel. On an old garrett T1 turbo in the junkyard I noticed the ends of the blades on the inducer were bent back. all about equally, but like... like if you take a piece of paper and swing it in front of you. as if the edges of the blades (the bearings on this turbo were BAAAAAD) had rubbed on the compressor housing and rolled them back just a bit. Normally I would shrug this off, but the blades on my turbo look exactly the same. I have very little play in the bearings, but I worry that some damage might have been caused by eating a sock. Basically I'm asking if anyone out there has an early T1 garrett turbo and the blades point out straight or if the tips bend back just a bit. I wish I had pix, but think of the shape of a "j" I guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
typically looking directly at the top of the impeller cone (part you see when installed) blades should be dead straight slight bends arint really a problem as long as they are very slight and in all honesty i learned this from the people at the local turbo shop to test for play in the shafts while the motor is running prefurably cold (get a buddy to help you with this)
hold the impeller while the motor is off get yur buddy to start the motor and test for shaft play while the motor is running (remember it pumps air not oil doing this will NOT hurt the turbo as long as you do it quikly(under a minute)) doing this will give you the closest bearing answer you need without getting a turbo shop to do it. because the bearing are primed with oil now after yur done checking shaft play do not shut down the motor give the impeller a lil bit of a push to start it moving agian and once shes spinng proper then shut down

p.s. how the hell did you get a sock stuck in there??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the sock was being used as an impromptu air filter while I was rigging up piping. had to go to the parts store to get... hoses I think. had the sock over the intake of that hard ribbed rubber hose that comes off the intake of the turbo, and apparently both my sock was too stretchy and the turbo was too hungry for souls. (and decided sock also started with an "S" so it would do) All the sock got stuffed into the intercooler so nothing went in the engine. Heh, it looked like a uhaul furniture pad, only finely ground sock instead of blue jeans.
(in the first pic, most of the blades of my turbo look like the bottom left blade of that turbo)

Moral of the story: Always ALWAYS use a hose clamp to hold your sock on your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moral of the story: Always ALWAYS use a hose clamp to hold your sock on your engine.
That's the funniest thing I've read in years!! Read it out loud and see if you don't laugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts