Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got an 86 tona, and i found out when pulling the engine that there is a 87 rebuilt engine in it, and i wanna know if anyone could tell me if the pistons from in it are LW or not? are they suposed to be in a 87 2.2 or should they be HD? ALSO! would an 87 moter work proberly on a 86 car? or are the comps abit different? would i have any problems this way?

Heres a picture if that will help? or is there any other way to tell?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I dont believe there were LW designations on the pistons but the rods definitely, and it looks as if you have LW rods. That would be correct as T1 engines from 86-88 got LW rods. As afr as running it in your 86 I would see no issues, the comp from a T2 87 car would be a bit different but you have an 87 T1 block. Doesnt matter really even if you had a T2 short block it would work just fine with the T1 electronics and vice versa. Is your car log manifold, or has it been converted to blow thru?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh, also next to the part number on the rods it should have an 'LW' denoting it as a lightweight rod

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
damn mine do say LW, well should i replace them of HD ones well i have them out? or is it okay to just leave them?
300 HP plus should have the rods swapped.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Definitely upgrade to T2 rods!

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
your suppose to have a faster reving motor with the lw. less weight to move
The rod weight isn't a lot last I checked though but it helps a little. The pistons are really heavy, forged pistons is a night and day difference in weight.

porting the oil feed hole, water pump housing, under drive pulley and aluminum flywheel all combined make the engines rev fast.

Still I've seen a lot of people build a T2 engine with forged pistons only to run 200 WHP, which isn't needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts