Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for coil-overs for my Daytona, or if there are any other Dodge cars that have a similar design for the stock suspension and can use coil-overs. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

·
Legendary Driver
10,931 Posts
I have them on my daughter's caliber SRT4. The ride is firm but good. The handling is awesome on it. Rich's are better because the caster is adjustable too where BC's regular kits are only camber adjustable at the top. On the Caliber I pushed the tops of the struts in all the way and adjusted camber at the spindles with cam bolts. This lowers the roll center and the car doesn't lean at all going through the corners.

Setting them up can be tedious and do not watch youtube videos on it all the ricer kids don't know what they're doing. You can adjust the spring pre-load and then height via turning the assembly in the knuckle. So all the videos out there say to have 5mm of pre-load. WRONG. What you want is to put the weight of the car on the suspension then adjust the pre-load so you have 2/3's of the travel to be for compression and 1/3'd for rebound. So some measurements and time need to be taken to do this. Once that's done you can adjust height via turning the asssemblies in the knuckles. This get's the ride and handling to be great. Also the lock rings just need to be snug with the spanner wrenches. DO NOT tighten them further with punches and hammers like seen in the videos unless you want them to be that way forever.

The kid I bought the caliber from had them so screwed up it was insane. The ride was ok as long as the pavement was smooth. Any big bumps or railroad tracks and you better be going less than 10mph. At the time I thought well that's just cause they're coil-overs and that's how they rode. How wrong was I. I was putting new tires on and getting an alignment so I thought I better mess with them a bit. Jacking up the car I noticed there was no rebound travel in the front end! The pre-load was set so stiff that the shocks were at full extension. The rear wasn't much better. The lock rings had been pounded off and were so tight I had to buy 1 new rear shock as I couldn't get it loose. I got it all adjusted like I stated in the process above and it's a totally different car. It'll actually go over speed bumps and railroad tracks like normal car now. The ride doesn't beat you to death even though it doesn't lean going around corners. I'll be getting a set for all my other cars now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts