Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took off the kick panel from my 1990 Daytona ES and unplugged the two plugs going into the BCM. I do not have the two bus lines there, the solid purple and white with black tracer. WTF! I found them in my 1992 Daytona, why aren't they there in my 1990 Daytona?

I don't understand what's going on, I have a 1991 Digital dash out of a lebaron that I NEED to put in my Daytona. Did Daytonas even run bus lines in 1990? I thought with the introduction of the SBEC came this whole digital system.

Help me out guys, if anyone knows anything on the subject, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
You may have to run them yourself from the SBEC, unless you have the 3.0 and 4 speed automatic. If you have the EATX module for the tranny, you can splice them in there. They may also be at the firewall bulkhead connector too, that would be the best place to tap in. I cannot remember exactly and I don't have any FSMs with me right now. I had to run them all the way from the SBEC on my Dakota. Make sure you twist the wires when you run them too.

· Registered
429 Posts
my 90 has them, I put a 2 button traveler in and used them. tapped into the wires that go to the factory alarm that is behind the glovebox.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I will check my bulkhead connector and if it's not there, I will tap in from the sbec. I used speaker wire on my 1992 Daytona and for now, I will use speaker wire in my 1990 Daytona since I'm just making sure the dash works before I start tearing everything out of the car.

cky, where did you put the traveler in your 90 Daytona? Did you swap out the center console for a 91+ model?

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All 1990 AG/AJ BCM's had Bus Lines weather it was a "Base" BCM or "Premium" BCM.
When I posted this thread, I made a bet in my head that NAJ will give me the exact diagram I need within a day. You did it in 3 1/2 hours, lol. Thanks a lot, you're always such a big help to me and everyone else on this board :thumb:

The bus lines that I saw on my 92 and the ones that are on the digital dash are solid purple and white with a black tracer that spirals around the wire. But in the BCM on the 90 Daytona, I recall seeing a purple wire but it had a tracer on it, might've been brown like the diagram says, and there was a white wire with black tracer, but the tracer was straight like the rest of the wires with tracers. So I'll take a look again tomorrow and make sure that the wires are in the right positions, 14 and 15.

NAJ, would you be able to give me the diagram for the white connector to the BCM for base and premium also? I would really appreciate it. My car came with power heated mirrors, but no PL or PW or power seats. I have all the solenoids switches and power window rail w/ motor. I just want to know what both plugs contain, because the white plug in my car has only maybe 8 wires in it, and I would like to know what the rest are for, if for anything. I was going to just set up a bunch of relays to control the locks and windows, I tested it out outside the car and it works perfectly, but I would love for the BCM to control it.

Thanks again to you all for the help.

· Registered
429 Posts
cky, where did you put the traveler in your 90 Daytona? Did you swap out the center console for a 91+ model?
Na I kept my high 90 console since I love resting my arm on it and like how the shifter doesn't stick up as much. I just took out the ash tray assembly and put it in there right below the radio. Looks shitty cause there is this big open hole there and the traveller is down in it but I like the high console too much.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
If I see the thread I try to answer it right away, sometimes they get hidden and it takes a few days before I locate it. I was going to post the "Natural" colored connectors and then I said he only needs the bus line wires, I should have followed my instincts.
Here is the 1990, do you need the 92 connector pin outs?

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks NAJ. These BCMs are confusing as hell. Maybe someone can explain this a little to me:

My 1990 Daytona ES only has the very few wires like the BASE BCM, BUT when my trunk is open, the "hatch ajar" (or something along those lines) light lights up in the dash :confused:. My 1992 base model Daytona doesn't have any lights in the black strip across the dash, yet my 1990 does. The pin out for the PREMIUM natural connector lists the "hatch/trunk lid ajar" wire. Isn't that the wire that would illuminate the hatch ajar light? Are there any in-between base and premium BCMs?

I would love to include one of the early systems displays in my 1990 Daytona, where there is a picture of a car and it indicates when each door is open. What would I need to do to get that thing to work?

Am I better off finding a 1990-1991 premium car at the junkyard and pulling the underdash harness with BCM? Which cars came premium? How do I tell if a car is premium or not? Are my only options Daytonas and Lebarons? What about the whole headlight control problem when putting in a lebaron BCM in a Daytona? I have so many questions, argh.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
The BCM only controls the courtesy lamps thru terminals 1, 2 and 25 of the black connector, these wires are used on the base and premium BCM.
The Door Ajar, Liftgate Ajar and Low Washer on the Message Center are lit by wiring thru a simple eletro/mechanical switch that is either opened or closed.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you open a door, does that open or close the circuit? If it closes the circuit, I can just wire in the light in parallel to display which door is open, right?

Also, if I wanted to add power door locks, would I need to get a BCM from a car with power door locks? Well, can you explain to me exactly what a BASE BCM is and what a PREMIUM BCM is? Does premium mean that the car had power door locks, power windows, etc? Are there any in-between BCMs? I need BCM 101 :(

Can you also give me the diagram for a 1990 or 1991 digital dash? It would help me out a lot.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
The only difference between "base" and "premium" are weather the vehicle is equipped with " evic/traveler", "electronic cluster", compass/temp" or "vehicle theft security".
The door lock circuit is the same between "base" and " premium".
I can send a pic of the connector pinouts for the electronic cluster but wiring is not listed seperatly, it is listed as " cluster to body wiring" and each cavity of the cluster connector has a seperate wiring diagram so the entire cluster/body wiring is comprised of about 25 different diagrams, to many to post.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
Door Jamb Switches are naturally closed, the circuit opens when the door is closed and the circuit will close(switch completes the ground) when the door is open.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot for that diagram, I am going to the garage right now to finish wiring in the dash and see if it fires up! I'll post pics of either a gorgeous working digital dash or pics of my dashboard on fire in a little bit :thumb:

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Works BEAUTIFULLY! I also took a video that I'm going to try hosting somewhere. Thanks a lot everyone for your help. And thanks NAJ for the dedication and diagrams :thumb:

· Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,968 Posts
I do like the looks of that later model digital dash. And it gives you all of your gauges up front, unlike the previous generation where you only get 1 of the important gauges at a time. I had wanted to do that swap in my '90. I picked up a digital dash from the junkyard and after doing research I found out I would need a '90-'91 model dash to make it work with the stock BCM. I have no idea what year the LeBaron was that I grabbed the dash from, so I guess now it's kinda useless. Are there part number listings that might tell me what year it is?

Also, do the '90 Daytonas have the sub-harness for the traveler computer or do I have to tap into the BCM? I've looked into the center dash area a little and didn't see it, but I don't want to go pulling the whole thing apart until I know there's something there to look for. I actually have a 2-button and a 6-button traveler. The 6-button requires the later model BCM from what I've read, but it'd be cool to custom mount a 2-button in the Daytona. That's the only thing I don't like about the raised console. I miss my traveler computer. :)

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
You will have to splice into the data bus lines underneath the dash. It's pretty easy if you pull the glove compartment out first. I just did this a few weeks ago. The LeBarons were wired with the connector, Daytonas were not (none of them '90+).

· Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,968 Posts
I thought I had read in a few posts on here that the Daytonas never had the sub-harness for the traveler, but I never got actual confirmation of that. Is there a sub-harness disconnect somewhere or is the pigtail hardwired into the LeBaron's harness. I'm a big fan of keeping things as stock as possible when it comes to wiring, so if I can do it without cutting into anything that'd be great. Then again, I don't really need the traveler. Not like there's a spot for it in the dash anyway ('90 raised center console). I'm just thinking aloud really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.