Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,

So, This is my first turbo dodge high hp build. In the past (on my pontiac V8's and AMC stuff) I have always bottomed out the studs, then gave them 5 ft-lbs torque into the block with the allen head, and then torqued to spec.

Question is, alot of people on here seem to be debating bottoming the studs out for the mains and head. FYI this is on a hybrid 2.5 CB.

Any thoughts from the veterans?

Eric,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Everything I have ever heard is to run the studs down to bottom finger tight. I have not tried this, so take with a grain of salt.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
According to the ARP website the studs are only installed finger tight after the threads in the block have been chased.
Finger tight is all I did when I installed them.
It has something to do with torque being appiled to the upper stud and bolt stretching.
It is explained on thier web site.
ARP-bolts.com | The Official Site of Automotive Racing Products, Inc.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
either grease them or use heavy diff oil to oil the studs into the block, then finger tight. In the west our block holes don't have much rust, back east? you better get a tap lol. Once you go studs you don't go back btw

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the motor came out of a 160k mile greasy car, so not too much rust on anything.

Got them very slightly over finger tight, and they torqued and clearanced out great. Thanks for the tips, guys!

Eric,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts