1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE'S THE FACTS.
1997 DODGE STRATUS-6CYL
160,000 MILES

CODE 42- auto shut down relay or fuel pump relay/ open or short condition.
i replaced the fuel pump relay. where is the auto shut down relay on this car? i can't find it.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENING:
About once a month, the car won't start. If you crank for about 25- 30 seconds and play with the gas pedal, it will. (NOT EVERY TIME, JUST ONCE OR SO A MONTH) During this time when it's acting up, it runs smooth at idle. Give it gas, it stalls. Start back up, runs smooth at idle but...(COOLING FANS TURN ON, CYCLE TO HIGH SPEED, THEN TURN OFF) They continue to cycle like this, on off on off on off. (MIND YOU this is while the car is cold, and has sat over night.) then after running for a few minutes, car warms up, and throttle response is back, does not stall when u hit gas, and fans turn off, opposed to turing on and off every 5 seconds. I suspect the coolant temp switch? and auto shut down relay? the fans act up when the car isnt running right, thats why i think its one of the problems (coolant temp switch)
and asd because thats the code it threw.
ALL INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED:) WHERE is this asd located?

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
First off there is no code 42 on a 97 Stratus. A 97 vehicle is OBD2 and all codes are a universal P code and can only be retrieved with a scan tool.Some early OBD2 vehicles still allowed counting light flash's but this is false data and not accurate at all.
The ASD relay on a 97 stratus is in the underhood PDC.There is also an ASD fuse.There are other relays in there with the same part # so you can swap them out,make sure you swap it with something like the horn relay and not something that is needed by engine management to make the car run.
All relays operate the same
Constant power source, switched power source, a ground(controller) and a power output(to the controlled device)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts