Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention that the main wire going to alternator gave out last night due to corrosion and or fatigue. but I repaired that and drove the car today. Hopped into it tonight and car would not start. I jumped ASD over as instructed in fuel pressure test sticky and ASD actuated .

·
Administrator
24,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Naj. Tha ASD def. Was not actuating. Unless jumped over. Then pump worked .Will proceed with no start tests.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Confused. Are you bypassing the relay and bridging the power circuit that normally runs through it? Or are you grounding out the blue/yellow wire in the diagnostic connector to manually activate the relay?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres what I did so far step by step.
While out taking a spin in car the main wire on alt failed. Not sign of burning . Looks as though it was corroded.
fix on the side of the road and got a jump from roommate .
Drove home with no incident.
Went out an hour later car would turn over but not start. Did not hear the click of the ASD, injector or hear the pump prime.
Decided to ground DB/Y wire at diag. connector and everything happened. injectors fired and pump ran continuously .

Guess I could try starting car while ASD is grounded?

Going to start no start test while I await reply. Thanks

·
Administrator
24,265 Posts
Going to be a difference in diagnostics as to weather or not the ASD actually actuated during the initial key on or it did not.
Verify that first, just connect a test light to the + coil and ground and turn the key on.

·
Administrator
24,265 Posts
Will be logging off soon so...
If the ASD does not actuate for one second with initial key on you may have lost a power feed into the controller so it does not see that you turned the key on.

If it does actuate for 1 second with initial key on continue following the no start diagnostics.

SBEC 14 Pin Cavity 4 from Ignition Switch
(this also runs to the Alternator, Rad Fan Relay and Diagnostic Connector from the Ignition Switch)
SBEC 60 Pin Cavity 12 from SBEC 14 Pin Cavity 3
(this also runs from the SBEC 14 Pin Cavity 3 to the ASD Relay

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok sorry it took so long to get back with you guys. ASD does not actuate with initial key on. Will try back probing DB/Y at 1-58 on 60 way connector with ground to see if that actuates ASD. That should tell if wire is good from smec to ASD. After that I would think I need to check signal from ignition to smec to see if ignition switch has gone bad or I have a bad wire between to two.

·
Administrator
24,265 Posts
ok sorry it took so long to get back with you guys. ASD does not actuate with initial key on. Will try back probing DB/Y at 1-58 on 60 way connector with ground to see if that actuates ASD. That should tell if wire is good from smec to ASD. After that I would think I need to check signal from ignition to smec to see if ignition switch has gone bad or I have a bad wire between to two.
I forgot to mention checking the ASD Ground Side Control Wire (DB/YL) for an Open.

The wire runs from the ASD Relay to the Diagnostic Connector and then from the Diagnostic Connector to the SMEC.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. Put the probe on the DB wire at ASD KO = 12v. Test from - post to wire
DB/Y wire at smec KO = no ground. Test from + post to wire.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow you got to be careful following these diagrams. Apparently the B1 wire only goes to smec on EFI cars. Turbo pin out for 60 pin connector says ignition feed is at 1-12 K 14 DB wire. Think I am going to look these diagrams over while I wait for some input.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts