Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the ASEChips ECU upgrade installed? ASEChips requires you send your ECU to them, they install the performance chip and return the modified ECU. ASEChips claims a 17 HP increase and additional torque. After modification high octane gas is required. I am thinking about doing this mod but am searching to see if anyone has already done this mod and obtained good results.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
What if your warranty has run out anyhow????

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
GregsPT said:
Go for it if your out of warranty but you have to use high test gas and regular is uppose to be $ 2.00 a gallon by summer
How much gains do you get from it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'd call and talk to someone there and get the full scoop. I pretty sure they have had a perfomance chip program for the PT for some time. Recently at their site, they had a short list of cars (that included the PT) that they wanted people who could get to their shop to donate to them so they could do tests for new chip programs. Of course, donators got a mondo discount. So maybe they are retooling their PT program? All I know from the site is that the chip for sure changes the shift points, and moved the rev-limitor higher. You might want to ask them what to expect if you have other minor mods to your engine - a.k.a. higher flow air intake, different header, exhaust, spark plugs, wires, etc...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mean Green said:
If dealer flashes your computer you will lose the improvements.
You are misinformed about flashing the computer. The ASE chip is part of the computer hard wired into the ECM.

The Kenny Bell is just a software program and would be lost if the computer was flashed.

To answer Blackhawk's question both ASE and Kenny Bell CLAIM about 17 horsepower
My problem with these are they pushing the engine to hard ? If you read the Kenny Bell ad they say that no one will know it has been modified. That statement really concerns me because are they advancing the timing or fooling the sensors to much for long term engine life. 17 horsepower isn't worth a blown engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do not have any chips, but from everything I have read on the net in forums, it appears the chips are not worth the money because they do not make an improvement. I read on PTDIY that the JET chips were recalled for some reason (I do not know about the ASE chips). Also, is 17hp worth the high and increasing cost of the required premium gas? To me it is only worth it if you have a supercharger, turbo or nitrous because you have a significant increase in hp (74hp gain at the flywheel in the case of a Whipple supercharger).

Lastly, I am not a mechanic by any means however, if installing a supercharger can be done without any engine modificaitons (or strengthening of the engine) and still not affect engine durablity (so the manufacturer and other unbiased books on superchargers claim so long as the hp gain is within reason), then I do not think that 17hp will do much if anything to affect engine life. I do not know how much chips cost but you may want to consider getting an aftermarket exhaust and/or air intake system either one or both of which will give you some increased power and unlike the chip, will also give you added sporty appearance and sound. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us all know. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
PT Eric said:
I do not have any chips, but from everything I have read on the net in forums, it appears the chips are not worth the money because they do not make an improvement. I read on PTDIY that the JET chips were recalled for some reason (I do not know about the ASE chips). Also, is 17hp worth the high and increasing cost of the required premium gas? To me it is only worth it if you have a supercharger, turbo or nitrous because you have a significant increase in hp (74hp gain at the flywheel in the case of a Whipple supercharger).

Lastly, I am not a mechanic by any means however, if installing a supercharger can be done without any engine modificaitons (or strengthening of the engine) and still not affect engine durablity (so the manufacturer and other unbiased books on superchargers claim so long as the hp gain is within reason), then I do not think that 17hp will do much if anything to affect engine life. I do not know how much chips cost but you may want to consider getting an aftermarket exhaust and/or air intake system either one or both of which will give you some increased power and unlike the chip, will also give you added sporty appearance and sound. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us all know. :)
I'm a retired Chrysler service manager and what the chips do for the gains is push the timing to the point of denotation or what is called pinging witch will trash any engine in a very short time. If it is done right there is no problems but if it's not what will happens isn't very pretty and VERY expense. Personally I don't know if these guys that make these chips really know what their doing. Now if MOPAR came out with an upgrade I would be first in line to get one. To me17 horsepower isn't worth a blown engine. Ask all the racers on the forums and most will tell you if you want to make horsepower you have to spend money and do it the right way. The chips are cheating and we all know what happens when we cheat. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
548 Posts
On that note, a reprogram done right can modify the fuel curve and the timing curve. Just doing one could cause serious problems. When you tune-a-fish on the dyno you need to know how to modify the code to reach the optimum AFR at all points of the curve. It is a VERY complex operation to not only compensate for these changes but various loads and temps. That is why a good tuner is worth the money. Generic chips are seldom worth the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the input. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can gather a little more information, realizing of course that they are in business to sell their product. Right now all I have done to my PT is to install an AiRaid and a dual outlet CatBack exhaust. Sounds great and at least it feels a little peppier (might be all in my mind!). If I don't get a warm and fuzzy from ASE I guess I'll just start saving for that Whipple!!!! After all my wife can only throw me so far out of the house. I'll post a note if I find out anything worthwhile from ASE.

D

·
0 Posts
I suggest going with Kenne-Bell. We've had a few 2nd Gen Neon owners use Kenne-Bell and are very happy with the results. One owner has an 8100rpm rev-limit to go with his hyper-active Magnum SOHC engine that should when the Perfect Power SMT-6 is tuned push out 200+hp at the wheels.

Your timing is only increased to take advantage of high octane pump gas. So your timing increase would be higher where 93 octane is available and less where 91 is available. You can have it set either way, the settings are user-defined.

The biggest increase in power is going to come from fixing the fuel curve. Since most cars go rich at higher RPM to save the converter from overaly lean conditions. This is something performace minded owners don't have to worry about because we tend to keep our cars in top running condition and don't need type of protection. You pick up 5-6hp on average.

I would say the improvement is closer to 8-10hp, not 17hp at the wheels.

For those that wanna wait for Mama Mopar go ahead, but Kenne-Bell has the SAME software that MP used to reprogram PCMs and they know what they are doing.

BTW - If you take your PT in for service and you have the Kenne-Bell program inside, just put a note on your steering wheel and REMIND the service writer that you would NOT like your PCM flashed with updated software.

Neon owners do this all the time since 90% of modified Neons sport a Mopar Performance or A/FX PCM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts