Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright im in the process of sanding the clearcoat off my car..due to the fact there's no rust and half the clearcoat is gone already..
What I want to know is

Im using 400 grit sandpaper, no wet sand or buffing...

What should I be using..I took a buddie's advice and thats what he told me to do. but using 400 is taking a long time...I heard if you use 2500 it works a bit better....but that seems too rough for my liking...just need some suggestions...

and no im not priming the whole car or going down to bare metal so don't tell me to :p

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
IF your repainting the car(not just re clearing it), like it sounds like you are, 400 grit is good to use(no wet), If you have a DA it will be much faster, or use boards/blocks to keep sanding even.

If your use a DA sander normally you can use lower grit then by hand because it sands more even but 400-600 is OK

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
2500 is super fine grit used for final finish.The lower the grit the courser it is, the higher the number the finer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
what color are u painting it? I would use a 1 step sealer/ primer, block with 600 and paint. and use a single stage paint. we did my buddies lancer bright ass white, it looks awesome, and we only had $3-400 total in materials and paint. if your painting it a dark color more work is needed for better results. Also if the color is good on the car, sand it enough to take the clear off and simply reclear it. I did my work truck w/ spray cans was pink, now red. good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts