Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Would it be ok to change from Mopar ATF +3 to the Ford Type-f stuff without draining the torque converter? Or is it an all or nothing sort of thing?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well mine doesn't want to shift at WOT, so I was planning on changing the fluid/filter anyways but it sounds like the mopar fluid may be a part of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
So I was just thinking, do you think that the weak shifting us a413 guys encounter may be caused by the Mopar fluid? And more so, would Chrysler do this purposely to be easier on the transmissions they deemed as "weak" back in the day? In the manual it says specifically NOT to use anything but Mopar, but in all three a413 car's I've owned the WOT shift is downright horrible. On my daily driver I'd rather not have a MVB, or go messing around with internals. I'm hoping that a simple fluid exchange will be the cure!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Wasn't there talk awhile back of the Ford stuff burning out the tranny faster????? Yes the shifts are firmer, but I got the impression it was more for the guys who don't mind rebuilding a tranny every now and then....

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Mopar_Nutz said:
Wasn't there talk awhile back of the Ford stuff burning out the tranny faster????? Yes the shifts are firmer, but I got the impression it was more for the guys who don't mind rebuilding a tranny every now and then....
No, I run type F in my A518 in my big greenie, warmed over 360, makes 425 ft/lbs at the wheels, weighs 5000 lbs and has 4 yrs of abuse, still alive. The only reason it could burn up is if the clutches are on there way out and the extra friction could finish them off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts