Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im looking at trying to ship a 3000gt vr4 to my house.

Going to totally strip the car of all parts, then probably cut it up for recycling.

Only real problem i see is that the trans needs a 1-2 synchro.

This will mean removing most of turbo setup from duster and installing it on spirit since the turbo manifold setup wont work backwards on the duster.
Build new turbo manifolds for the duster

Its going to look goofy because the 3000gt track width is much wider.

I just like these kind of projects and I think this would be a lot of fun.

Car will cost more to ship then it will to purchase. Im looking at 1250ish shipping (with non running car fee) for the lowest I have seen from Maine to Utah.

Anyways, this is a complete car and buying individual parts will never be affordable.
If I have to go as extreme as basically splicing parts of the 3000gt into the duster (subframes or whatever) then I will do it.

Comments/concerns/advice welcome :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm subscribed to this! Damn Brent, you might have found a way to get me out of my shell. Need a hand, with a little notice and I'll see what I can do...

Wow, I'm awake now!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i was considering this myself. if i had the money, a 6sp and rear end was gonna go into my Duster. i believe its only 5" wider which means only a 2.5" difference on each side on the rear. that can probably be solved with some different offset wheels i think. Also, you will have to do something to the K-member like the guy with the RWD shadow to allow for the T-case. it shouldnt be that hard in reality. oh and rotate the motor 180* in the engine bay.

as for transporting, find yourself a friend with a truck and a trailer and take a weekend and go fetch? thats what i would do, then your only out fuel and time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brent this sounds like a great idea. Frankenstein type cars are always the coolest. A lot of people will shake their head and not understand but for every 10 head shaker there will be that one peson that thinks it is one of the coolest things ever.

As for transportation I'm with shadow24v some of the best times I've ever had is making a long distance trip to pick up a car or part with a friend. It would be a grueling weekend trip but you would remeber it for a lifetime.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Putting the drivetrain in the duster.

I dont even care if I keep the stock K frame. I am pretty sure I will be modifying 3000gt subframs and whtever they require to the duster if thats what is needed.

I dont know about the long roadtrip as I dont really have a lot of spare time like that.

2400 mile trip each way =~5000 miles.
Basically a "trip" would cost over $800 just in diesel and then probably have to sleep over in a few places. Also I would have a huge favor to owe someone and their wife :p

1100-1250 for a car carrier 2400 miles doesnt sound bad. i dont care about how well the car is treated since I am chopping it up.

The car does look pretty sexy though, I am sorta sad to cut it up but the car is missing turbo parts and electronics and I dont want a 3rd car which happens to be a huge money pit (thats what those cars are!).

Anyways roger? (phatfoto?) if you want to ever help im all the way down in provo. :D

Im basically done with school in December. Walk for graduation in april. Working on law school applications for march. After march I can dive into the project. Not sure if I will actually attend law school in september but I will work on accomplishing that.

I think a lot of this will not be too hard. Im glad the 3000gt is a cable shifted transmission because that makes 1 part of the job really easy :D

My real issue is I dont want to cut up the car too soon if I might need to use it for a template. I honestly would like to make the Shell disappear before the end of april to help keep my landlord happy.
Simply stripping the car completely of everything except the shell would be my easiest option as I could then just store the parts.

This is a 5 speed transmission 3000gt so rebuild parts are more available and they have recently built cast steel transfercases and midcases when the time comes to upgrade those parts (or they break).
There is a Dog box that was finished this summer too in case I ever finish my schooling and get a job.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
So are you actually trasplanting the engine too? Well if you do and decide to sell your custom intake manifold....i call dibs :) You know brent i was just in seattle a week or so ago....if i only knew where you were i wanted to see the duster up close.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duster is in Provo right now. Its never driven more then 50 miles from where I live. Taking my Spirit to Seattle for Christmas but thats about it and that car is definitely in boring mode right now.

Not transplanting the engine. I will likely strip the engines of useful parts (includng heads) and ditch the blocks.
The next motor I build will be a 6g74 with a 6g75 crankshaft but that is a long long ways away (not something I am thinking about).

If I can get the 12valve awd setup to work, then I will have a pretty danged cool car and there are some amazing engine upgrades if I ever want to. None of those upgrades would be reasonable with a FWD trans.
I think the 12v setup combined with my low weight will more then make up the difference.
Matt Monett recently ran [email protected] in his 2900# with driver gutted and insanely weight reduced + caged 3000gt with only about 850awhp.
I think I can get the duster to weigh 2500# without driver or less with the awd setup. Just have the weight of transfer case/midcase, driveshaft, rear subrame+ dif, rear axels and the heavier disc brakes.

I was planning on buying a tow dolly this winter for over 1000 dollars so I am going to be dropping that concept in order to afford something else.
I can probably make some money back parting things out too.

My idea is to build this setup so its fairly "bolt on" so if this duster chassis needs replacing (its a POS) then I can just buy another chassis or even try adapting to an even lighter 1st gen neon in 10 years lol.

My biggest AWD problem is i want to figure out a way to disconnect the awd system so I can put the car on a tow dolley as there is no way I can have a truck or a full trailor. One of my thoughts was adding a removable section to the driveshaft just before the differential that I can unbolt if the car ever breaks or needs long distance transport from my friendly Spirit.

I could stick with FWD but to make the car drivable on the street at full boost would probably cost $1500+ in custom rims and huge 325 wide drag radials along with cutting up the front of the car badly to make things fit.

Those prices dont sound good and that doesnt sound like a fun project.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
well is the donor car a DOHC? if so and the heads are in good order i may be interested :) although ill probably stay with my SOHC heads and just get them PnPed by Ed

but anyways, id still do the trip for costs and the sake of the trip :). dont forget you have to rotate the motor to get this whole thing working.

damn you for getting to this before me :) S/Ced or twin charged 24v AWD duster was my plan....
now to find a 5sp w/TC and a VR4 rear end for cheap.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Suddenly, I'm thinking of that Yellow Concept Shadow from years ago. Stretch the fenders out to fit bigger rubber. I know of two ways. And I often considered ways to get the 3Si drivetrain into a minivan. Hmmm, wonder where I put the notebook with my sketches for a VR4 Aries... 4 door even!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well is the donor car a DOHC? if so and the heads are in good order i may be interested :) although ill probably stay with my SOHC heads and just get them PnPed by Ed

but anyways, id still do the trip for costs and the sake of the trip :). dont forget you have to rotate the motor to get this whole thing working.

damn you for getting to this before me :) S/Ced or twin charged 24v AWD duster was my plan....
now to find a 5sp w/TC and a VR4 rear end for cheap.....
WHen you say twin charged it would be so hot if you meant twin screw instead of twin turbos :p

Honestly I would go single turbo just for space reasons.
Its an AWD TT car so yes its dohc. Just no turbos or ECU and a few other missing pieces.

dude isnt doing a good job of replying :p

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i was originally thinking S/C and turbo twin charged, but twin M112s would be mean too... especially with AWD traction and the sleeper look :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Get some clean 1/4 mile runs on your Duster before starting the next big project on it, so we can have some "Before AWD" numbers.

Custom axles should solve the wider track problem.

And if you're going AWD, you won't be needing that OBX in your 543 anymore, so how about selling it to me at a good Christmas discount?;)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think I want custom axles and the larger track width is okay with me. I prefer the install to be as non custom as possible so parts are more easily replaceable.

We will see if the guy will even sell me the car. so far no response.

Spare parts will all go in my spirit.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woot guy responded.
We will see how this goes :D
I called my mom yesterday and told her what I was trying to buy. Im gonna take lots of pictures of it so I can show her that I threw away the nicest car I ever owned lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.