Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone on this board actually ever done a manual trans AWD conversion.? I'm considering taking that task on... since I've got 2 AWD minivans and a bunch of manual transmissions.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for a fact that I can do it. heck I installed a ford motor into a chevy vega and a 2.2 chrysler motor into a Plymouth Sapparo... I'm just looking to see if anyone else actually tried something other than sitting in their parents basement, smoking pot and wishing they had some abilities other than internet chatter. :)

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
umm this is kinda weird lol i was talking about doing that today to a 83 aries K wagon!!! it'd be tricky to get both motors to run and have same power but it'd work if you could figure all that out...... and if you do try the manual AWD and it works post pics..

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nobody has tried much harder then bsing on the internet.
Pretty soon someone will post "put an engine in the back seat" and well you get the point.
ever seen Jay Leno's SHOgun? ford festiva with a sho taurus drive line in the back seat.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
nobody has tried much harder then bsing on the internet.
Pretty soon someone will post "put an engine in the back seat" and well you get the point.
As you can see people have already ruined this thread talking about putting an engine in the back seat instead of how to build an AWD car.

I was being VERY sarcastic about that since every AWD thread gets crapped on with this kind of stuff.

There is a decent thread in the RWD section that you should read to get an idea of what is possible with the minivan AWD parts.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sitting here looking at my transfer case and noticed something very odd. there is NO internal splines for the passenger side axle. so it would appear that the transmission only drives the LF wheel then into the transfercase to the rear wheels. the passenger axle does absolutely nothing. can anyone confirm this is the way the AWD units are?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm sitting here looking at my transfer case and noticed something very odd. there is NO internal splines for the passenger side axle. so it would appear that the transmission only drives the LF wheel then into the transfercase to the rear wheels. the passenger axle does absolutely nothing. can anyone confirm this is the way the AWD units are?

lol...i wish i had one in front of me to check this for myself...not saying you arent seeing what youre seeing, but it seems kinda unlikely. what would the point of that be?....it would be cool to see the ad campaign for the 3wd caravan though. :thumb:

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol...i wish i had one in front of me to check this for myself...not saying you arent seeing what youre seeing, but it seems kinda unlikely. what would the point of that be?....it would be cool to see the ad campaign for the 3wd caravan though. :thumb:
hey, it's what I'm seeing. there are no internal spines on the passenger side of the transfer cast. so I pulled another transfer from a 1991 caravan AWD and it too is exactly the same. from what I figure is that the LF is always driven and the transfer case is also. then the viscous coupler applies the rear if there there is a difference in speed between the transfer case and the rear differential. So do I have 2 defective transfer cases or is this the way they are? I really want someone that actually knows something respond.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
i wasnt doubting you...just very curious as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Do you have a passenger side axle? on fwd those are extra long to reach past the extension housing into the diff.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Guys, 22dodge = allmotor. He of all people already has the answers.

With custom work, this is easily done. Takes some skill, fabrication, a big shop with all the equipment to do it, a bunch of misc parts, and you're ready to roll.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I don't know if I'd use the stock mopar trans.. I'd get something out of a toyota and make an adapter plate for the trans and make it a I4 and not a L4, like a toyota. I used to have a toyota drivetrain too... took the body off and droped it on a lifted Cobra frame with a 454 and a van AWD trans (Think it was a Astro van trans) so you can do it, it's just finding the right parts combinations.

I vote for toyota trans with a adapter plate or something of the sorts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was that the same as used by the Celica AllTrac?

No, I remember a couple years back some minivan guys got together to see what parts would swap around. If I recall, the passenger side output extension off the A670 would swap with the A604 part. At least bolt in. So it was supposed at the time that the PTU would fit the A670, and likely the A413. I've never seen these parts in my hand, so I cannot say with certainty. I would imagine the ring gear in the 670 or 413 would have to match whatever the AWD A604s used, or the gearing will be off.

Personally, if it were me, I'd figure a way to take a T2 motor, run it norht/south with a Dakota 5 speed, and use a Dakota transfer case and front driveline. THen use the stock struts and steering knuckles and some custom halfshafts. Of course, this would have been a good idea for a minivan, more room under the vehicle to hang things and keep it close to stock ride height.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This is a project that one day I hope to tackle. Its at least 10 years away though as I need my own insulated pole shed, extra car hoist, and a lot of time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
hmm now I'm curious about the AWD setup. I'll have to run to my brothers junkyard and check one out to see whats up with the passenger side not having splines.
interesting to find out the answer to the mystery of the 3 wheel drive caravans.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts