Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened the first day I bought the car, and I just changed out the dipsticks to a snugger fitting one. Drove problem free for five months. Well, it just so happens the actual tube is busted from the block. I've never had a problem with this coming out, even in 15 lbs of boost.

On my way home today (15 mile trip) I noticed the car was smoking bad, I pulled into my driveway, opened the hood...low and behold, the entire engine bay is covered in oil.

Any quick fixes to this? I can't drill out the existing portion of the dipstick and re thread a new one, it's just not feasible right now.

Hope my engine is ok.

Can't wait to clean this ****ing mess up.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Is the dipstick tube treaded into the block or is it just press fit? I don't remember.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
you can try tapping the what is left of the dipstick, put a bolt in it and yank it out. Or try a aggresive wood screw and try to screw that in and pull it out.If worse comes to worse look at the bright side, more than likely the pan gasket was leaking too - and most of the oil is drained.:p

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can try tapping the what is left of the dipstick, put a bolt in it and yank it out. Or try a aggresive wood screw and try to screw that in and pull it out.If worse comes to worse look at the bright side, more than likely the pan gasket was leaking too - and most of the oil is drained.:p
Yeah, but I'm not in a position to work on the car. I just taped the tube to the fan shroud, fits snug. Fingers crossed. :eek:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Yeah, but I'm not in a position to work on the car. I just taped the tube to the fan shroud, fits snug. Fingers crossed. :eek:
I know what you mean about working on cars. When my cars go down and I have to work on them, it takes me weeks even months to get to them. That's part of the reason I am not buying more cars. Well maybe one more. ;)

Maybe clean the heck out of the area and rtv it. On my 92 the tube has a tab that bolts to the thermostat housing. Maybe look for one of those for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
This doesn't work all the time, as I have noticed in the past, but clean the area up real good and I mean really good. Then take your favorite liquid welder (i.e. JB Weld) and goop that sucker back on there... Hehe.

NOTE: Do it on a warm day other wise it really won't work...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you've got anything to grab on to you could put some locking plyers on there and twist it back and forth while pulling up, there usually not too hard to get out.
Or you can get under the lip where it meets the block and carefully pry and tap it up out of the block until you have enough to grip on to

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No...

What would cause this to sporadically happen? I have my PCV system hooked up correctly (stock) and the valve is roughly 4 months old. Why is the crankcase pressure not evacuating?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
When your under boost there is no evacuation so a little pressure will be normal in the crankcase. If you take the oil cap off while the car is idling and put your hand over the hole it should still try to suck on your hand if not your rings are toast

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
When your under boost there is no evacuation so a little pressure will be normal in the crankcase. If you take the oil cap off while the car is idling and put your hand over the hole it should still try to suck on your hand if not your rings are toast

Is this a fact? If you pull off your oil cap with the car in idle it should suck on your hand? I've got a couple cars and I don't think any of them will do this? I'd have to double check, but I don't think there's vacuum in the valvecover?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced the turbo oil hose today, along with nicer fuel line clamps. I'm not sure if this is where the oil is coming from, but I do know the dipstick, and tube are secure, but I have another leak...don't exactly know where though.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Is this a fact? If you pull off your oil cap with the car in idle it should suck on your hand? I've got a couple cars and I don't think any of them will do this? I'd have to double check, but I don't think there's vacuum in the valvecover?
It usually looks like theres air blowing out at least when it comes to most 4 cyl cars but if you cover the hole and the pcv is working good it should have a light suction, just going by my own experience.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I replaced the turbo oil hose today, along with nicer fuel line clamps. I'm not sure if this is where the oil is coming from, but I do know the dipstick, and tube are secure, but I have another leak...don't exactly know where though.
Tony, you said it wasn't coming from the rear right? Cam seal or valve cover gasket?

How big is this other leak? Maybe bring it by this weekend and we can check it out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tony, you said it wasn't coming from the rear right? Cam seal or valve cover gasket?

How big is this other leak? Maybe bring it by this weekend and we can check it out.
Sides of the head are fairly clean. I'm certain it's not the valve cover or cam seals, as the oil is spraying up and on the valve cover, and hood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts