Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Daytona Shelby Z T2 with a manual trans. Will any axle work for the passenger side? The one on it has a carrier, can I use one that doesn't have a carrier? Are the strengths different?

·
Administrator
25,739 Posts
The vehicle uses an equal lenght axle system with an intermidiate shaft to reduce torque steer, the L and R axles are the same, why do you want to eliminate the intermidiate shaft?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There have been many threads on the axle setups used. There are also parts not available to fix the intermediate shaft. I believe the bearing on the bracket is not available. The U-joint is available.

There have been many threads talking about the equal axle setup helps with torque steer but there are newer threads saying unequal or equal there is no differance. There also have been ones saying the front end alignment is more important then the axles used. I haven't done any testing to say what I think but there are the threads to read.

You can use the longer unequal axle if you remove the intermediate shaft.
Tim

·
Administrator
25,739 Posts
Good info, this I did not know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main reason is because I don't have the axle with the carrier. my CV joint is going funky on the passenger side. I was jsut trying to save money if they were ok to interchange. I don't want to break anything, if I need to get another I will.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
it will work some have removed the intermidate shaft to install the long axle. Go for it.
Tim

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word. Im doin it. If it breaks, I let you all see. haha

Thanks, I knew the world needed more testers.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
many go to the long axle after the trash the "equal length" unit and hopefully it doesn't rip apart the block.

Put it this way all the cars(TD's) that currently run 10 sec 1/4 mile are using the long axles(although I cannot say what relentless used)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts