Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just purchased a Shelby Lancer and am in need of new front axles. I want to eliminate the intermediate shaft and go with something like 1990 Dodge Omni NA automatic axles. Can I use the large spline 90 auto axles on my lancer, will they fit? What are my options. The car has a a555. When I swapped out my Omni tranny last year I put the 90 auto large spline axles on my 85....direct bolt in. Help me out guys.:thumb:

-Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys, just purchased a Shelby Lancer and am in need of new front axles. I want to eliminate the intermediate shaft and go with something like 1990 Dodge Omni NA automatic axles. Can I use the large spline 90 auto axles on my lancer, will they fit? What are my options. The car has a a555. When I swapped out my Omni tranny last year I put the 90 auto large spline axles on my 85....direct bolt in. Help me out guys.:thumb:

-Chris
Why do want to eliminate the intermediate axle shaft and go with the uneven halfshafts????? On a turbo car especially there will MUCH torque steer under medium to heavy acceleration!! The turbo cars had the intermediate shaft and even halfshafts for that very reason.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard benifits from both sides. Should I just replace my drivers side axle and call it a day then? I am just looking for a reasonable setup for my lancer.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
you are going to hear pluses and minuses for both options. other than the obvious opinions involved with everyones advice consider the fact that with the unequal setup there are less parts to break. and the fact that i believe the bearing for the intermediate shaft is almost completely unavail. you can get the u-joint, but not the bearing. for me two more moving parts to fail, and limited availability are enough to go with the unequal setup. plus in my lebaron ive always had that setup, and never had a problem with the torque steer...sure there is some, but thats half the fun. and there way torque steer on my 88 pacifica with the equal length setup...just my .02...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so what unequal length axles should I run on my Lancer? I heard the axles from the 89 Daytona ES are unequal length. What can I use? Thanks.

-Chris:thumb:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I am going to go to Advanced Auto and order unequal length axles from a 89 Daytona NA. Is that OK???:thumb:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
they should have them instock....pretty standard stocking part. we'll see how good my memory is...i believe its a cv12064 (long), and a cv12062(short)....but ive only looked this stuff up a couple times for myself....lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they should have them instock....pretty standard stocking part. we'll see how good my memory is...i believe its a cv12064 (long), and a cv12062(short)....but ive only looked this stuff up a couple times for myself....lol:rolleyes:
Hey thanks for the info. Are those part #'s for the NA Daytona's?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
they are for just about anything with unequal length shafts....yes, including n/a daytonas

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi Chris........the axles aren't quite all the same......the V6 with auto trans. cars do use the unequal length....the right side (passenger) axle shaft is a large diameter HD shaft.....this same shaft is also used on the Turbo 1 application with an auto trans.... all of the N/A engines (4 cyl) used a small dia low torque application shaft.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris........the axles aren't quite all the same......the V6 with auto trans. cars do use the unequal length....the right side (passenger) axle shaft is a large diameter HD shaft.....this same shaft is also used on the Turbo 1 application with an auto trans.... all of the N/A engines (4 cyl) used a small dia low torque application shaft.
Hey thanks for the info Trucker. I still haven't purchased axles yet. Just trying to find out exactly what car has unequal length axles that will fit the Lancer.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

i dont know, me 89 lebaron had the larger axle in it when i got it, and my 88 has one as well, both are turbo 4cyl. i thought the shaft size was just a manufacturer difference...since there are three or four different ones that could have came stock....saginaw, gkn, citroen, and...cant remember the last one if there is one.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'm not really up on this but the large one is hollow I believe and smaller one is solid, not sure whats recomended.

Autozone sold me a small shaft and I went to advance and got the large shaft because thats what the stocker was like on mine

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
and there is the advantage to working in an auto parts store (advance)...when i bought the reman shafts for my lebaron, i ordered a couple of each number and checked the play in each joint till i got ones that were nice and tight with no rough spots, and i saw both kinds (thick and thin shaft) in the boxes for the long axle...so i assume its just a difference in manufacturer...either way, ive got the smaller shaft in there now, and beat on it pretty hard and no problems yet...so im pretty confident in it...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi Matt.......something you might want to keep in mind.....the long unequal length large dia. shafts are hollow....they are for good reason...like any large dia rear wheel drive truck prop shaft they are hollow so that the shaft is flexible, allowing it to twist under heavy duress....the solid shafts (such as the low torque shafts found in the low hp/torque n/a 4 cyl. engines) don't have the same flexibility, and as such they can break under the stronger torque Turbo engs. and the V6.... :) now this not to say that they WILL break....I have friend who is an avid Fiero fan (we do LS1 V8 installations into these cars)...the OEM axle shafts are solid (seeing as there are not any hollow ones to be had)....and they do work..but mind you he does break them (and sometimes often) if he gets too hard on the throttle out of the hole, they just don't stand up to the sudden torque put thru them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts