Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I am working on this 85 laser.

I have replaced; fuel pump,filter,injectors,plugs,wires,cap,bug.

the prob I have is when I try to take off with a cold engine the car runs fine untill about 2k, then starts to miss like hell. it is so bad that the car will not pull its self. I can do one of two things to clear this up I ether have to stop let the car idle for a few sec then try to take off again or just punch it to the floor, what a few sec and the car will take of like a bat out of hell.

it idles a little ruff sometimes worse than others. but when its not acking up it idles fine and runs fine.
I have 15hg at idle car will spool up to 10psi then back to 7psi like it should. the timing is dead on 12 deg. the plugs are gaped at .032.

this whole thing showed up after I put the new injectors in but not all at

once. at firts it would just die on decel but run great other wise. I reset the base idle car sounded good till I got down to the road took off and it just fell flat on its face. pushed in the clutch reved it up and cleared it out then ran fine.

now about the cam its an 85 slider and bolth lobes on#s 2 and 3 have more than 2 times the thickness of your thumb nail ate off of them and #4 is very badly scared up, looks like lack of oil at some point. #1 looks brand new.

I am lost on this one thanx.

oh and by the way the car runs perfect once you warm it up except for a small stumble at low end. it also idle smooth as can be once warm. I think the stumble is due to the cam but who knows? hopefully someone.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
A bad cam, obviously, will definitely make it run bad lol.

But you say when it misses at 2k when taking off, maybe the injectors are junk.

do you still have the old ones.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Any fault codes? Is the 4 blade rotor in your distributor coming loose? When you say "bug" are you referring to the pick up that sees this rotor? If not maybe that is the problem. If you did change it, maybe try the old one. I assume all plug wires are seated properly in the cap.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well here is the thing when I first put the injectors in it ran fine. if you did not mind it shutting off when you pulled up to a stop, I drove it for a week like this no prob. it will allways start right back up. the prob started when I reset the idle I set it to about 950 and tryed to drive it. thats when it started.

as for the 4 blade rotor I check it about 6 weeks ago when I did the tune up its fine.

I checked last night and I have no codes. there is something funny about that aswell. when I try to run my codes about 70% of the time when I try to ether do the key trick (nothing will happen light just goes out.) or with a scaner, it will come up and tell me it can not communicate with my lm. but if I keep trying it will every once in a while pop up with code 55 and thats all.

and yes it dose it sitting still and when I take off. its the worst in 1st but will still happen after I shift to 2nd. but I will only happen 1 time when I first take off. after it dose it, what every I do to clear it out will make it stop untill the next time I stop then it all start over agian. runs fine in all gears when prob is not there but it dose not last long enuf when it is for me to even get out of 1st most of the time.

yes I do still have the old injectors but they leek so much fuel the car will pump out black smoke at idle.

I have a spare tps and fuel pressure reg and some other old parts from my other car I think I will do some part swaping this weekend.

I hope I get this fixed it about got me killed pulling out into traffic. thank god when it gets going it moves on pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts