Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im looking for some input i just built a 2.2 top to bottom literaly everythings new my problem being #4 cyclinder is burning oil i did a vacume test compression test leakdown test checked everything all these tests pass with flying colors was wondering if it to be possible if just the oil ring could be bad and not fail any of these tests runs great justs smokes alot when rpm is up the only thing that gives it away is #4 sparkplug pitch black any input would be greatly appreaciated my brain is fryed not sure what what other direction to to diagnose thanks:bang head:bang head:bang head

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Pitch Black with dripping oil or carbon from running rich?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i flip flop an injector it should do it in another cylinder right but it smells like oil and its not fouling out just soot black and smoking like crazzzzzzzzzzy when i rev it up

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Normally it would affect all cylinders but have you checked to see if the PCV system is functioning properly?
Also, did you replace valve seals and possibly forget to install one or damage one during install?

Verrill: Plug Color Chart

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could this be a faulty injector. plug is sooty black and i checked the compression its within the 10% across the board vacume at 20 hg steady also did leak down test which is same at all 4cyl fuel presure good so how do i test 1 injector they all ohm out the same can you check the voltage to injectors??

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
yea it could be a bad injector, i would swap the injector with one from a different cylinder(one that is running fine) and see if that cylinder acts up and see if #4 cleans up, it is does clean up and the other cylinder acts up it's gotta be that injector.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Voltage is a constant 12 volts to all injectors.
The ground side(pulse width)is controlled by the engine controller.
A noid light will tell you if the problem is injector control.

Since the controller fires 2 injectors at a time(1/2 and 3/4)if you are going to move the injector to another cylinder move it #1 or 2 so it is firing in a different batch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i forgot about noid buried in my box some where hopefully thats it appreciate your imput that may be it upgraded to 90 sebc from an 86 ill post if thats it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts